Really???

Stephen,

I only ever owned one of these and traded it in years ago. At the time the going rate for one was between 110 and 150 UK pounds ($200). It seems incredible when you see TH blades by good koto and Shinto smiths going for less than they did in the 1990's these seem to have risen by an order of x10.

Is it me or have the values of art, aesthetic and value gone mad?

These early copper handled ones are really rare. Lots of fakes on the market, so when the buyers see one that is genuine, they go mad for them. The usual NCO's are also fetching silly prices, but not as much as this.

In militaria, the quest to complete a collection or pick up a rare one overrides common logic. I also seriously collect AK bayonets (over 60 different ones so far) and one rare one can go for over $800. British No32 sniper scopes....over $2500 each. Fairbairn Sykes 2nd Pattern..over $1000. With militaria the sky is the limit I guess. :dunno:

That's why we are still in a very undervalued hobby here, and are lucky to be able to pick up 500 year old swords for less than a WW2 sword. Shows how grafeful we should be.

Brian

before i say anything perhaps i should clarify that i did NOT buy this sword. i am merely curious...

Two late Bizen Sukenaga's listed. The kiku ichi mei didn't match the ebay sword, nor did the other which I could only find in the Bizen Taikan. I agree that somebody really took a stretch on this one.

By "match" you mean the same kanji in the same order? Variations are highly possible. The ways, or the styles, the kanjis are written or carved do match, at least close examination is called for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..