Matching Tsuba to Katana

Robertex

I'm curious if collectors search for tsubas to match up with favorite katanas in their collection, and if so, what are the criteria?

My interest in this topic is that I have a documented blade in shirasaya and remnants of koshirae, but no tsuba. I think it would be nice to find a tsuba in order to display the full koshirae with tsunagi. Katana shin and tsuba are discussed so commonly in absence of the other that perhaps it is unrealistic or even hokie to consider reconstructing a representative katana from a particular era. Thoughts?

Hello Carl, The sword actually in the saya should not make much of a difference unless you want a koshirae typical of the time and era that the sword was made. You could do this if you want, although it isn't common to find such on older blades. However if you want to have a koshirae that is representative of a specific area or era then finding tsuba contemporary to the other fittings you are using would make sense. Fittings made in Kyoto area, Goto for instance, might look good with a kyo-sukashi tsuba, etc. It's your taste that matters when outfitting your sword. I'm thinking, anyhow. John

Hi Carl.

Something that has added an extra dimension to collecting for me at least, is the hunt for and the purchase of appropriate tosogu and tsuba for each of the swords I own. I actually never mount them, but each of my swords bar two (current projects), has an appropriate set of associated mounts.

Two reasons I embarked upon this deviant practice: Firstly out of sheer interest and secondly in order to learn about tsuba and tosogu.

After a sword is purchased and the polishing and kantei is done by whatever organisation one chooses, there is a basic pool of information from which to draw in selecting appropriate mounts. Era, style, and locality etc. This leads one in a few directions, one of which is gaining a familiarity with the styles of each era and locality. It also helps to identify and define ones own taste. I find it a great stimulus for study in the first instance and of course the extremely enjoyable culmination of finding and buying just the right pieces.

Beware however, this can become very expensive! What the hell......... You end up with an interesting collection and a greatly expanded knowledge.

I have a large collection of tsuba and seppa and see nothing wrong with marrying a tsuba to a sword that is in mounts absent the tsuba. It is my impression that often people will remove a beautiful tsuba and leave a sword otherwise intact. If you have enough tsuba, you can usually find one that fits tightly and is the right thickness. With any luck, it will fit well with the other koshirae!

As always, many thanks for the expert advice!

The katana I'm considering finding a tsuba for is an average Yasutsugu (Shinto Toku Den) in old polish. Nothing really to write home about, but decent enough and my only papered katana. I'll try to get a few pics of it, but absent of that, any initial thoughts on tsuba?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..