How's this for unusual?

Brian

That is really interesting; I was just thinking the other day as to why I have not seen a western style knife or sword done by a Japanese smith.Surely there have been smiths that would have experimented with different geographical styles.The Bowie knife in particular is so distinctive; or a double edged dagger maybe.

Thanks for the post Brian.

Very Nice Bowie!

Here is one i have made by Kuzan, not Nihonto (remember the video of the bullet getting cut in two hitting one of his swords a few years back i believe?) when he was working with Bob Loveless in 1978 as marked on the blade, he used a chisel like you would use to mark a Japanese Sword, notice the sheath looks like Bob made it?

KuzanOdatanto.jpg

Custom knife making is big in Japan and there are some licensed smiths who also make knives. Some make western style and some make traditional folded, quenched blades. There are many western knife makers as well making traditional western style blades with a Japanese style hamon...

How about a Gendai Nihonto Bowie knife?

http://www.cgfinearts.com/select_produc ... alleryID=1

Very unusual and kinda intriguing. I guess this would be a Bowie Tanto? :)

So this is what smiths get up to when bored and with an open slot for the month? :glee:

Brian

Link is not working any more :?:

Maybe you have a pic form the knife.

Many thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..