Shirasaya

Robertex

In a previous post I was debating whether or not to polish the blades in my meager collection. As a new student, the advice and consensus I received from this group was spot on; i.e., I should probably not polish, as a new polish would be easily damaged by a novice like myself while studying the blades. This (again, in my novice opinion) suggests shirasaya as the most protective mount for studying a blade. Donald W. helped me with a couple of names of craftsmen of shirasaya (Moses Becerra and Robert Benson), and if there are any more to chose from I would be greatly appreciative. The other question I have is, how does one identify the blade at rest within the shirasaya? Mind you, I don't have enough blades to warrant a catalog system, and it would take me all of five seconds to I.D. my entire collection. I'm just curious if there is a proper system (tag, pasted cloth origami,... I have no idea) and protocol for labeling the shirasaya.

Thanks!

I have two little tags that are made of sea shell - think pearl button - with the mei in lacquer. Those are for special swords. I also have some small wooden (Cedar) tags with caligraphy. I recently bought a group of credit card size wood cards that I intend to use as tags. These are thin as veneer and the person who sold them to me used a whole punch for paper to make a hole for string. In the past I have used copper tags that were originally made for plants. Before starting this search for the "right thing" I used paper tags purchased from an office supply company.

As your collection grows you need something to easily identify a blade without opening bags.

Carl.

You may want to cruise the commercial sites on the links page. I have recently seen on a website, the little tags you are talking about. They are about three inches long shaped like a luggage tag, pierced for a string, and made of thin cedar. They come in packs of three if I remember correctly and are worth only a couple of dollars. It may save you having to make them, although I always make my own out of bamboo. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..