1st NBSK SWORD CRAFTSMEN COMPETITION RESULTS

Bazza

Gentle Folk,

Just in on Chris Bowen's discussion list FYI. Very nice to see Ford Hallam and Brian Tschernega in the prizes.

Regards,

BaZZa.

----------------------------------------

To: 'Token Kenkyu Kai'

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 5:44 PM

Subject: NBSK Sword Craftsmen Competition

Dear members,

We just uploaded the photos of all of entry works to the 1st NBSK Sword Craftsmen Competition. Please access to the NBSK official site “English” then click “1st NBSK Sword Craftsmen Competition result” if you are interested.

NBSK site : http://www.nbsk-jp.org/english/front_page.html

The NBSK is moving to a new office of the 3rd Floor of the 1st Terminal Building of the Haneda Airport. The building was completed recently and the Haneda Airport newly opened as International Airport (it used to be an airport for domestic airlines and to some Asian countries like Korea, Hong Kong and Taiwan).

There has been a complaint that Narita Airport is too far from central Tokyo and no good hotel around there. The Haneda Airport is expected to be the main hub airport of Japan in the near future.

The NBSK obtained a show case in the 4th floor of the New Hadeda International Airport and we are planning to display items related to Japanese sword culture there.

Mishina

Kenji Mishina

三品謙次

Japanese Sword Polisher

E-mail : m-kenji@parkcity.ne.jp

http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/m-kenji/

Gentlemen

How can you have ignored David MacDonald's excellent Nyusen tsukamaki, described as "Unusual cord moro-hineri-maki tsuka-mae" which was also on show at the SF Taikai! Shame on you.

All of these are illustrated in the NBSK's booklet.

Clive Sinclaire

PS I tried but I never seem to be capable of uploading images, I guess its old age technophobia!

By the way, if any UK members were considering attending the Birmingham Arms Fair on Sunday, I have been persuaded to drag my sorry arse up the M1 to do an informal chat on Hizen-to. I will be taking about 6 swords to illustrate the talk and would be happy to see you there.

Congrats to Ford et al. All entries in ALL categories are unbelievable and the judging must be extremely difficult. It is amazing the quality of the craftsmanship and bodes well for the future of nihonto. IN 200 years all will look great in new collections and when compared to those from 400 years ago will more than hold their own :clap:

Baz san, thanks for posting this.

May I add my congratulations to Ford, David, Brian...fabulous work, Thanks.

Regards

George.

PS, also liked the "Chairman Award" sword by Mitsuo Yoshikawa (Bizen Yoshimitsu)...lovely hamon that is polished in sashi-komi (the only sword not in hadori)...love it....Great to see all this fantastic work here.

Stone,

Hi Ford, I am just back from the Birmingham Arms Fair, the Northern Token Society had a meeting with a couple of lectures there. there was a DVD running of you

createing a beutifull Tsuba, that was also present along with the tsuba that was given a award by NBSK. Absolutely stunning! My wife say's when I shuffle off & my swords are sold

She will ask you to make her one.(Dragonffly) I have dragged her all over the place with me and that is one

of a very rare moment I have seen her impressed by a Tsuba, Brilliant work.

Best Regards,

Tony N.

You know I would very much like a copy of the DVD when available.

I would second Tony's comments. I have seen the dvd several times before but am still staggered every time I see it. Also the dragonfly tsuba is incredibly impressive "in the flesh" Congratulations Ford (and my jealousy of your talent has increased to an even higher level :steamed: )

Well done

Paul

Thank you all, for the very kind words of congratulations :)

Tony, Paul, I'm chuffed the dragonfly tsuba made it from Japan in time for Bob to show it at the Arms fair and that you got to see "the real thing". The photographs are always only an approximation of the work I suppose.

Tony, we've got plans afoot to make the film more widely available. We've recently had Japanese sub-titles done and may shortly put it on-line as a free download. There is still a much more, in-depth, film that needs a bit more in the way of interviews in Japan etc, that is a work in progress. We hope to get that one broadcast TV.

I must thank Bob Morrison and his wife, Chris also, for making the effort to showcase my work and present the film. It's great when a patron is also your promotional agency :D Cheers Chris and Bob. :thanks:

regards,

ford

I must thank Clive for taking the trouble to travel all the way to Birmingham, and for bringing some of his treasures for people to examine. His talk on Hizento was pitched exactly right for the audience. I for one thoroughly enjoyed it, learned much, and felt privileged to be able to handle and examine such fine blades. My gratitude must also be extended to Bob Morrison for bringing what I can only describe as 'masterpieces' created by Ford. To those who have yet to see the film on the creation of the tiger tsuba, hold onto your hats - you have a treat full of revelations to come. And to Ford himself I must bow for creating the dragonfly tsuba. Photographs do not do it justice. It is breathtaking. I hope all who attended enjoyed the day and I look forward to more of such events.

Ian Bottomley

'

My gratitude must also be extended to Bob Morrison for bringing what I can only describe as 'masterpieces' created by Ford. To those who have yet to see the film on the creation of the tiger tsuba, hold onto your hats - you have a treat full of revelations to come. And to Ford himself I must bow for creating the dragonfly tsuba. Photographs do not do it justice. It is breathtaking.

Thank you Ian, that's extremely generous of you :D

• 10 years later...
On 9/10/2010 at 4:19 AM, Bazza said:

We just uploaded the photos of all of entry works to the 1st NBSK Sword Craftsmen Competition. Please access to the NBSK official site “English” then click “1st NBSK Sword Craftsmen Competition result” if you are interested.

NBSK site : http://www.nbsk-jp.org/english/front_page.html

The link is dead and I only found pictures of the award ceremony but not of the entries. Did they get taken down?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..