To Polish or Not to Polish

Robertex

How do you assess a blade for polishing?

Please dont misunderstand what I am saying here. I am not trying to be harsh or sarcastic. This is the best advice I can give. You will note that none of the most qualified members of this forum are responding to your request. The reason is that there are no pictures of the blade for them to refer to, and even if there were, they could not from that evidence alone give you the advice you need. If they do not feel confident enough to make a recommendation, then it is up to you to seek an opinion, sword in evidence, from someone who can.

1. YOU dont make an assessment yourself. The fact that you have asked this question indicates that there is no way you will know enough about any blade to make such an assessment. Do not rely on the opinion of anyone but a qualified polisher. (I may not have made this point strenuously enough before).

2. You send it to a qualified polisher, pay the money and get good informed advice.

3. You act according to his advice, and you make the decision yourself.

Gents,

Just returning from holiday to your humbling responses to my question. I understand and greatly appreciate each response and regard all of them very positive.

The blade I have in mind is a modest Shinto example rated Kanteisho by the NTHK, which gave me the encuragement to ask the question. It is my only "papered" blade and therefore the object of much of my pride in the subject.

As I understand pictures would not help at this point, your recomendation of a polisher to assess the blade would be appreciated. The blade is just over 66cm, if that has any impact on where to send it to be assessed. (It will certainly have an impact on the polishing!)

Again, thanks for your time in responding to my questions.

your recomendation of a polisher to assess the blade would be appreciated.

Hi Carl,

If the sword has a paper, it has already been assessed by a polisher. The next step is to assess the information given. So far it is a Shinto blade, 66 cm. Seek out additional thoughts here by posting an image of the NTHK origami and/or the shinsa working paper if you have them? Or, answer the following, if possible. Tradition? School? Name of smith, if signed, or attribution, if given? Ubu, suriage, O suriage? Flaws? Number of quality points given? This information should be all considered and evaluated before anything else is done.

Many thanks again for the robust feedback. I will post a few photographs in the next day or two, if not a scan of the origami.

What compelled me to ask about the polish, is that one of the comments I have in my notes is that it's in "old polish", i.e. is this adequate, or am I obligated to keep the blade in an ultimate state of readiness (for lack of a better term)?

Hi Carl,

It is not necessary to have a sword polished; leaving it in old polish, as long as there is no active rust, is perfectly OK. In fact, it is usually better for a sword owned by a beginner if it isn't polished. Beginners (not saying this about you; I don't know your level of experience with Nihonto) tend to mess up new polishes. For a variety of reasons their swords get scuffed, scratched, corroded, whatever. When they sell to the next owner the cycle gets repeated and before long the sword has been polished to death. I think it best if collectors have lots of experience handling and caring for swords before they take on a new polish.

Grey

Grey makes a good point here. When a sword is constantly being withdrawn from its saya to be studied, as would happen with a new student of nihonto, the risk of scuffing the blade is greater. (again this is a general observation and not specific to your situation).

A new polish, particularly in the first few weeks requires more frequent reoiling although not necessarily uchiko-ing in order to stabilise the newly polished steel surface. You really need to know what you are doing and be very certain and proficient in the way the sword is handled during this period. It is amazingly easy to mar a newly polished blade. If the sword still has a decent level of polish, old or otherwise, it may not be the wisest thing to polish it just for the sake of it, whilst it is being constantly studied.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom and expert guidance. It suits me perfectly in my novice stage to keep the blade in its present polish.

With that in mind, I would like to consider having it mounted in shirasaya. I know Fred Lohman offered the service at one time, but would like to know if there are others you recommend in the States.

Also, with regard to keeping the existing polish, what routine maintenance do you suggest? I've heard some prefer micro-fiber cloth over uchiko. Does one still use oil of cloves? I've been out of it for some time and would appreciate your contiuned assistance.

In the meantime, I've attached the origami for the blade in question. I have not translated it yet, but intend to do so as part of my studies.

Thaks again to all for your help.

post-2242-14196787720315_thumb.jpg

Carl, for a shirasaya there is this fellow http://japaneseswordpolishing.net/japanese_sword_restoration.htm

Or this one

http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/swordpolish.htm

And a few others, I have not dealt with either but imagine you would be happy with them.

I believe at least one is a boardmember.

Choji oil is just scented with clove oil but I think is mostly mineral oil, I have lohmans is good for this as some of the cheap stuff on ebay is kind of goopy

Hi Carl,

If you live in a humid climate it is best to keep oil on the blade. If not in a humid area the oil probably isn't necessary. See the links above for the NBTKK American Branch Sword Care and Etiquette Brochure, which explains how to oil.

Otherwise, keep it dry and out of the reach of those who don't know how to handle it.

Grey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..