Tsuba...Original and Copy

Eric H

Yes, there is a difference. I guess you want us to state which one is the original and which one is the copy?........ OK, I'll play :D

This is a guess....... X is the original (bottom pic)

XX is the copy (top pic) Based purely on 'feel' and patina. My instincts about such things are usually extremely questionable however. :)

As the most novice novice NMB poster ..... bottom one is the real tsuba. the man's face is clearer, more natural art work so seems to show emotion. the gold inlay around him appears to be better made, with a more seamless arc; the upper one has a clear break in the circle and looks crude.

I find the shape and patina of the bottom to be more pleasing.

So IMHO I vote bottom as real

doug

Could Eric have been that naughty? :lol:

Yes..I think possibly. Every time I think I see differences, I start to question myself. Could they be the same, with one post-restoration? Or maybe one pic from a catalog and the other an actual photo?

I know we have seen this design before..maybe it was a repeated mass produced one. But this definitely shows the limitations of evaluating things online or from pics.

Brian

two thoughts come to mind

1. Whether it is my machine my eyes or just me they look different shapes. The first looks longer and narrower.

2. When demonstrating the weakness of colour vision a classic test is to put the same object against a white and then black background. I wonder if some of the differences we are seeing are just because one is shot on a white background and the other black. (doesnt explain the shape though so maybe that is just my eyes :( )

My feeling is the bottom is original and the top is a copy. The top seems to lack the same detail as the bottom and the different subjects seem to be...a little less colored inside the lines? The hitsuana plug on the bottom seems nicely done and crisp, whereas the top seems more...less? My words are not good right now. I need sleep.

Then again, this could all be an elaborate trick!

From another novice, I think it’s the same tsuba. Probably a modern copy.

The copper plating or inlay seriously overruns the arm onto the plate above the elbow and the plate looks too shiny and or waxy to me.

Ok now where’s that darn crow???

PeterD

Gentlemen,

This was just for fun as a little exercise... :lol: ...the pictures vary in quality for serious judging.

XX - top

this Tsuba is unsigned, modern age, with gold seal, aorigata, and was up for auction recently.

X - bottom

this Tsuba is signed Minamoto Nagatsune horu with gold seal

Lot No 6093 Bonhams Sale

Bonhams Sale 18307, New York 14 Sep 2010

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.s ... leNo=18307

Thanks for the replies

Eric

I have just seen this and it came to my mind that without hi-res photos any guess is good as the other, it is just a gamble with 50% chance to win (or loose).

Not meaning to sound rude, just my thought.

cheers,

Mike

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..