Big Flaw

Wickstrom

I am sure there will be a lot of differing opinions on this but from my perspective I would say the following:

although I would not regard the flaw as fatal it is unattractive and would reduce the swords value to some extent.

The amount of reduction would vary a lot depending on the age, rarity and what the rest looked like. If this were a Kamakura blade by a highly rated smith I would be happier to live with it. If it was a shinto piece or later it is harder to accept.

In a Koto piece this may be the result of polishing over many years, with a shinto blade, which should have had far fewer polishes, it is indicative of poor workmanship.

Of course the reality is never this black or white but at least it offers a starting point

regards

Paul

Andrew.

More detail about the blade please. What period?

In answer to your question,and this is a superficial answer based on what little information you have given thus far. This kind of flaw would render a sword dangerous to use. Use however is not what defines a sword in this day and age, and the sword may still be collectable from a number of other viewpoints.

Usually, such a flaw would seriously lower the value of the blade. Is potential value a criteria in your view? There are other considerations such as maker, rarity, the otherwise overall condition of the blade to take into consideration. :)

if it were a Rai blade, or Hosho school etc it may be somewhat common....... but even so would reduce the value. As you say it may be Bizen then the only reason to forgive it is if it were definatly a Kamakura blade and priced with the flaw considered

As far as value of the blade, i am more concerned about paying to much for it then looking at it as an investment.

has the temper been treated with acid? it has a strange look as it nears the hamachi, it is not a natural change in the temper, must be due to something the polisher did, but looks strange

The man selling this piece bought it at an estate auction and has an email from the polisher, possibly one of those old soldiers brought back from ww2 polished before the soldier died for an estimate on the value? its only in about 40% polish as of right now.

Itame-hada combined with mokume and sporadic nagare-hada.

Hamon is a merging of three patterns first Choji and then halfway up at the monouchi Gunome (with

tobiyaki) starts and then all becomes Ko-Suguba fot the last 4 inches of the blade to the tip on one side.

The other side is Midare (with points) becoming Ko-gunome then again suguba for the last 8 inches

the other side.

Boshi appears to be in ko-maru but it looks like yaki-tsume.

High shinogi.

Full hiraniku.

I am not sure if the hamon is Nie or Nioi deki but it looks to have some chikae and other activities.

post-2078-14196786889768_thumb.jpg

post-2078-14196786890813_thumb.jpg

post-2078-14196786891462_thumb.jpg

post-2078-14196786892514_thumb.jpg

I agree about the hamon close to the ha machi, but if you look closely the hamon continues beyond the apparent abrupt end in the hamon there. Perhaps someone has touched up the hamon with fingerstones. The overall appearance of what we can see in the pic gives the impression that the polish was not given to the entire blade but only to the hamon itself. I am not sure however. Is there perhaps a pic of the overall sugata? and pics of the hada if it is visible?

Although hira means flat....hiraniku doesn't mean flat niku Jacques. ;)

Hiraniku: 平肉 Portion of the blade surface between the shinogi suji and the hamon. "Hira" means flat, but if the hiraniku is flat, instead of being bulged or rounded, it is referred to as "no hiraniku."

Hiraniku Oi: 平肉多い Hiraniku is curved or full

Hiraniku sukunai: 平肉少ない The hiraniku is flat

Hi,

Although hira means flat....hiraniku doesn't mean flat niku Jacques. ;)

Hiraniku: 平肉 Portion of the blade surface between the shinogi suji and the hamon. "Hira" means flat, but if the hiraniku is flat, instead of being bulged or rounded, it is referred to as "no hiraniku."

Hiraniku Oi: 平肉多い Hiraniku is curved or full

Hiraniku sukunai: 平肉少ない The hiraniku is flat

I know that well Brian, i was refering to the tiredness of that blade which, obviously, has lost a great amount of its niku.

Looks like a polisher did some"test areas"---kinda like putting in a window,determined the blade was just too flawed and felt it wasnt worth the effort.I think retempered,washed out hada,you can see it is there but blends too much when nagui was used,a partial attempt at "hadori",wont cover the ware which i believe were created when retempered.

Greg

This crap has been sold for US $ 610.--, 28 bids :shock: ...the question may be raised how educational is our board?...or more specifically, do people learn effectively?

In several threads there has been a serious warning to buy from ebay by uninformed people. The seller, using a lot of technical terms in the boastfully description... he doesn't obviously not understand their meaning... merely wishful thinking... the pictures however unmask such maneuvers.

The „happy“ new owner...hopefully not a member... has the choice now, will it be polished...or left alone as an „artefact“ or perhaps as a prime example for flaws.

Eric

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..