San Francisco Show & Shinsa ... POST A FEW PICTURES !

Dear NMB Members,

Now that the San Francisco shinsa, and show are all but past, ... it would be nice if some of those lucky enough to attend would post a few pictures. For those of us not able to attend, ... it still makes us a part of what was probably a most fun event.

... Ron Watson

I have been sad all weekend from not attending, I kept thinking of the attendees

with rosy cheeked smiling faces as they ran with arms outstretched through a field

of freshly blossoming nihonto.

So yeah, post pics, tell story's, tell as any little thing that will make attendance next year more successful.

I can relate a highlight that isn't sword related:

Met Paul Martin at the show with the purpose of having him sign a copy of "Facts and Fundementals..." as a gift for a friend.

Contacted Paul Fri. pm and set up a meet for 10 am Sat. My expectation was for Paul to sign the book, two minutes of small talk and end of meeting.

We spoke for close to an hour over an ice tea. Our backgrounds were not too dissimilar, made for a most enjoyable "side trip" at the show.

I was most impressed with Paul and wish him success!

I was late picking up my blade from the shinsa team Sat. evening. They called and left two messages on my cell (which wasn't with me). I retrieved the messages but the shinsa guys had left no number to call back. Now I know there is some way to find the number for missed calls on my phone, but I'll be damned if I know how to do it. (It is at this point that you techno types are having difficulty understanding this apparent ineptitude.)

Mike Yamaguchi and I were blissfully site seeing in SF, unaware I was holding up the folks that were working the shinsa.

My apologies (again) to that hard working crew.

It was nice to put faces with some I've spoken to, or communicated with.

All told, a grand experience I can recommend without reservation.

Comrades.

I completely failed at taking pictures and I apologize. Mainly because I was walking around in a state of wonder. Like a 5 year old at Willy Wonka's candy factory.

Lot's of cool and amazing stuff. Lots of over priced stuff. Lots of stuff that seemed fairly priced. But man! Was there ever a lot of stuff!!!!!!

I did meet a few people and had some cool discussions with some of the dealers. But over shadowed a vibe of predator and prey.

Sorry, Didn't take a single photo at the show - wife and I toured Wed & Thursday - wine country, historic city, Muir Woods - then the camera crapped out!

Show was good, although being touted as the 'largest US show" didn't seem seem any larger than recent Chicago or Minneapolis ones to me.

Great contacts & conversations!

Shinsa seemed , well, 'tougher' than most - will wait to see the 'pass- rate;' mine was 2 out of 5.

Dan K.

remember more than a few forgot alot of the names, good to see their getting as old as i.

If i take time sign up ill try to go back and spot some. As Brian if your a member here please let us know if your in the Pix. Some are eazy like David wraping the ito. Hageyama (bald mout.) Bob B as you can read his name tag, ect. Sure do miss them days.

Glad to see that there are a host of new young faces, good to know that the old gaurd will be replaced.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pics...(looks like a beard competition with a few swords lying around!...just joking). It looks like a great event...sure would have liked to have been there.

As stephen says...it would be nice for us southern hemisphere members to know some of the NMB members there?

Regards,

George.

I returned yesterday from the show and had a great time. Lots of really excellent pieces there. I had the chance to look at the Ima Aranami Ichimonji ( http://www.nihonto.com/AraIchi.html ), and it was everything one could expect from an Ichimonji and more. What a lovely piece. Many other really nice swords were displayed and the NBTHK/AB display and lecture by Bob Benson covering Shinshinto was a large success. There were examples of Suishinshi Masahide, Taikei Naotane, Yokoyama Sukekane, Tairyusai Sokan, Satsuma Masayoshi, and others. Mike Yamazaki also put on a great lecture with superb examples of fittings. I particularly enjoyed the charming little "Bunbuku" he had on display.

There was a good attendance by foreign visitors from Japan, New Zealand, Canada, Australia, Germany, and England. The show was well attended by the public and there was a buzz of interest in the room, but sales still seem moderated by overall economic pressure. Prices have come down on many items and the general feeling I got was that purchases were tempered by future concerns outside the world of Nihonto and folks are just exercising cautious prudence. However the interest and passion for the crafts is very strong. There were some great buying opportunities. I saw some potential "diamonds in the rough" acquired at very good prices, and some very nice and papered works as well.

As always, it is a very enjoyable show with a fine group of folks that organize it. A big "thank you" goes out to these folks and the NCJSC for their tireless efforts to promote such a great event. :clap: :beer:

Dear All,

Firstly, ... why is LES not a member, .... ??? I should think we all need his address and start a writing campaign to pressure him into joining ! Great photos :thanks: . I like .. Stephen .. see that I am not the only one showing my age. It was encouraging however to see some young enthusiastic faces in those photos. God, ... to turn back the clock if only for a few moments ... :cry: .

... Ron watson

Well hi all, so here are a few pics from with in the Shinsa room. I worked again as kodogu photographer and assisted on the kodogu table.

I would like to add Tom Helm did a sensational job arranging the Shinsa, well done mate.

Sorry that's all I have, I was a bit bit and cross eyed to be wandering around taking photos.

Cheers

Rich

post-5-14196787084037_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196787088066_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196787092152_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196787096422_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196787106331_thumb.jpg

post-5-14196787110586_thumb.jpg

Hey Franco, how are you, I hope all is well. Well I have no number of the pass/fail rate but I can say the first day was a little heavy on the pinks, but the second and third days were much better for passes. Moses can testify to that :) All up, there was just over 400 swords submitted and I think about 80 kodogu.

I saw a few swords pinked for condition as in just too bad. then there was a few gendaito made to look like older swords that bounced, and mumei gedai swords as well pink plus the usual gimei.

From memory the highest score for the swords was 73 points, and I topped out the shinsa with 75 points for some Joushin menuki. There were several tsuba in the 72 and 73 range. One I remember was a rather nice Choshuu guard.

Cheers

Rich

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..