Naginata

javenowens

I just wanted to share this Naginata that came back from a polish. It is signed Masatoshi. It has a beveled edge on one side. I have a pole that came with it but it needs some work. Would really like some insight and opinions about this peice. Here are some pics.

http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70 ... /naginata/

Dear Javenowens (is this the correct name?)

Firstly I think the polish looks pretty good, can you say who is responsible for it? I am afraid that I cannot see the mei on the nakago but the whole thing hints at shinshinto to me. I particularly say this because of the midare-komi boshi and the light and patchy patination on the nakago. The visible jihada does look a little large in places however.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see any mei, Masatoshi or otherwise on the nakago, Can you give a better pic of this or is the Masatoshi just an attribution? If it is indeed Masatoshi, Kishinmaro Masatoshi should be considered.

Of course, this is my personal opinion only and made without actually being able to see the piece properly and in hand.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Phew :phew:

I didn't want to disagree with you Clive, because you have forgotten more about Nihonto than I'll ever learn, but I would lean towards mid-shinto and soshu/sagami den of some type. I did find a couple of Masatoshi from Muromachi, but not sure this is that old - although possible. Someone else can tell me I am bonkers - it's happened a ton before!

Dear Javenowens (is this the correct name?)

Firstly I think the polish looks pretty good, can you say who is responsible for it? I am afraid that I cannot see the mei on the nakago but the whole thing hints at shinshinto to me. I particularly say this because of the midare-komi boshi and the light and patchy patination on the nakago. The visible jihada does look a little large in places however.

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see any mei, Masatoshi or otherwise on the nakago, Can you give a better pic of this or is the Masatoshi just an attribution? If it is indeed Masatoshi, Kishinmaro Masatoshi should be considered.

Of course, this is my personal opinion only and made without actually being able to see the piece properly and in hand.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

Bob Benson did the polish. He said it was a very nice piece.

Hi Javen

If not shinshinto then it has to be koto with a boshi like that. There is a sue-koto smith listed in Hawleys as Chohoji Masatoshi working in Hitachi 1558-73 and also in Sagami, with a note that he was "a top hand at naginata" (MAS 1635). The nidai of the same name appears to have only worked in Soshu (Sagami province). I cannot find him in the Taikan but I guess this is most likely your man, but it should go to shinsa.

Bob is a fine polisher isn't he, but I think he owes me a drink or two. Will catch up in SF no doubt.

Regards

Clive Sinclaire

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..