Arsenal Stamps.

• 2 weeks later...

@Bruce Pennington

I hope this is another piece of the puzzle. On page 23 of the stamps doc, you note a "KA" symbol with unknown purpose. I found the same mark on a Japanese Red Cross medal. According to Peterson's Orders and Medals of Japan, he says this was used as a kind of mint mark. Unfortunately, he doesn't say from which facility. But if there were a facility that made both swords and medals........

John C.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 1.34.30 PM.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 3:05 PM, John C said:

you note a "KA" symbol with unknown purpose. I found the same mark on a Japanese Red Cross medal. According to Peterson's Orders and Medals of Japan, he says this was used as a kind of mint mark. Unfortunately, he doesn't say from which facility. But if there were a facility that made both swords and

John, just had to add this to the conversation. It is blocked by people walking by, but you can see a giant neon “KA“ in the back of the room. It’s in one of the scenes of the movie The Beekeeper.

IMG_6855.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2024 at 4:24 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Warrelics

So I was perusing some Nick Komiya's articles and came across a document we have seen a few times. But this time I focused on a different column (please see the circled column). It has the KA mark listed for the First Factory of Osaka University Army [military] research facility. According to one article, they were involved in equipment development.

May be nothing. But I thought it was interesting - something I hadn't noticed before. 

John C.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 10.15.00 PM.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Is this the name at the top of this section of the chart? 

Yes...according to google app, anyway. From right to left starting at KA = 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th factories. 

John C.

18 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Osaka University

I don't think the wording refers to the university, just Osaka army arsenal. But the article mentioned the University being part of it as a research facility.

John C.

Examples of the "T.E.C." stamp on Kai Gunto, could have some relation to the Toyokawa Naval Arsenal due to their stamp? The quality on Kai Gunto with this stamp is often very good.

1702856734114blob.png

kawamura.jpg

Capture.PNG

i-img936x1200-1708513140j1ngzc7.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

"T.E.C." stamp on Kai Gunto,

Thanks John.  I only have 3 examples and as you note, all 3 have the Toyokawa stamp on the seppa as well.  I don't know the finer details of shops and forges that worked directly or exclusively for arsenals, but it appears this is so for this one.  I know SMR had their own fittings shop, but I don't know if the Army and Navy arsenals made their own fittings, too.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:05 AM, John C said:

@Bruce Pennington

I hope this is another piece of the puzzle. On page 23 of the stamps doc, you note a "KA" symbol with unknown purpose. I found the same mark on a Japanese Red Cross medal. According to Peterson's Orders and Medals of Japan, he says this was used as a kind of mint mark. Unfortunately, he doesn't say from which facility. But if there were a facility that made both swords and medals........

John C.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 1.34.30 PM.png

It could be 力 (Power) instead of  Katakana カ(Ka), as they used on the good luck flag and Senninbari.

image_5358266.jpg

千人力.JPG

• Like 1

Definitely not 刀 katana, in which the strokes never cross.

The kanji 力 chikara/ryoku/riki with the meaning of power, strength, surge, grit, etc.

(As opposed to カ ka in katakana, which has no intrinsic meaning except to designate pronunciation, or to question something, and か ka in hiragana with an extra stroke, again to represent a sound.) 

• Like 1