Arsenal Stamps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,ankhearty

This hot stamp is a logo mark of Seki Sword Company Ltd(関刀剣株式会社), that manufactured military swords as a subcontract from The Army during WWII.

Ref: Jim Dawson, [swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945,Cyclopedia Edition] on page 185.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's another. Anyone have info on this one?

I've posted a topic here also:http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=10442&sid=fa3028721ea1d8fb39e9a3a575e575f3

and signature on other side (nidai? -- saku) :

post-855-14196804459025_thumb.jpg

post-855-14196804459863_thumb.jpg

Found one:

Nidai Yoshichika swords have received NTHK and NBTHK origami and origami from Fujishiro. They are considered true gendaito despite being made from western steel. His swords were tested (tameshi-giri) by Nakayama Hakudo (sometimes read as Hiromichi) of Ishikawa Prefecture. The nakago are often stamped with "Hakudo Tameshi-giri Sho" (Tested by Hakudo)

Signature on other side:

post-855-14196804460294_thumb.jpg

post-855-14196804461318_thumb.jpg

I know that Yoshichika made both western steel, non-traditional blades and traditionally made blades. Without seeing the blade/kantei-sho, it does not follow that his non-traditional blades were awarded kantei-sho.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Morita-san,

many thanks for information.

Does somebody know more about this stamp (e.g. does this stamp "automatically" indicate that it is a non-traditional made blade, swordsmiths in this prefecture?)?

Thanks!

post-1134-14196805375232_thumb.jpg

Klaus,

I'm only guessing, but it seems to be a Prefectural (Ken) ownership mark. The character for "Ken" was simplified after WWII so at a guess I'd say this is put on pre-WWII...maybe prefectural Police? Firebrigade?

The blade may be older traditional made as it looks like the nakago has been shortened and a new hole put in. Any other marks on fittings etc?

George.

Hi George,

many thanks for information.

My first idea was also that this is a older blade, but, to be honest, I never saw a "Showa" stamp on an old blade. This is for sure a result of my ignorance :cry:

Anyway, here is the link for the auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... QgJgM%253D

Thanks

Klaus

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Might be off-topic but an interesting reference to Yoshichika swords is that Hakudo Nakayama tested swords for the Imperial Guard and had a Minamoto Yoshichika blade himself which I believe was sold at auction(?)some years ago.

He demonstrated the cutting efficiency by holding the blade by the bare tang and cut through the hips of a dead pig which so impressed that allother swords were withdrawn and only Yoshichika blades were to be carried by the Imperial Guard.

I have owned a Yoshichika and seen and handled several others and a high percentage seem to suffer from chipping and have often wondered if this was a result of using Western steel or a different hardness factor which produced a very sharp but slightly brittle edge?

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I made conection to posted link of strange stamp in one of my swords: http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3106&p=22453&hilit=masa+mitsu#p22453. Two kanjis stamped on nakago are inscription - Masa Mitsu. Size of one kanji is aprox. 4 mm. Stamp is in the oposite side of where should be mei of swordsmith.

Regards,

Bojan S.

Yes, I had assumed so. Not so get too off-track from the stamps topic but is there any consistency in whether smiths who typically included a kao in their mei did so in star-stamped blades? I have seen a number of Kawano Sadashige, but it appears that he usually excluded his kao on blades which were arsenal submissions. Likewise, I recall a Gassan Sadakatsu with a star-stamp and no kao.