Arsenal Stamps.

I think both wartime and postwar blades were used.  Another possibility is that wartime swords were scrapped and the blades reused?  One thing I have noticed is the cutoff tangs on these.  Is this a sign of a postwar made blade?  Do any wartime blades have this feature?  With all that said, I have not really looked at these swords from a manufacturing point of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

One thing I have noticed is the cutoff tangs on these.  Is this a sign of a postwar made blade?  Do any wartime blades have this feature? 

I originally thought this might be a sign of post-war work, and it still may.  It may simply be a sign of rushed work.  I have a 1943 Yoshishige kai with a jiri almost as crude.  So, after re-looking at it, the broken-off ends may still be a sign of post-war.  We'll have to start looking for that on kai vs souvenir.

My Yoshishige

image_zpspqce1czs.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello.  My father gave me an NCO Shin Gunto sword from WWII.  I am trying to determine its history and the meaning of the tang stamps on its handle.   I have pictures but can't seem to load them here.  

Thanks!

Ross

Indianapolis

Came across this on a Gunboards Thread - Navy Officers Sword.  It has stamped "1  66" on the nakago.  The "1" is large, and the "66" is small.  Can't decide if that was intentional or simply a guy grasping for number stamps and grabbed different sizes.  The painted numbers are "166" so I'm leaning to the "not intentional" theory.

P1010001.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P10100011.JPG

On 11/1/2019 at 6:38 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

A new one! And while this one is actually engraved, like mei, it says "Inspected."

The WAF is off-limits to nonmembers.  So, this leads to the following questions.  What type of sword is this, army, navy, civilian?  Do you have pictures of both sides of the tang?  Are there any other inspection type marks on the tang?  The kanji character that is depicted is 撿 which can mean several things.

https://nihongomaster.com/Japanese/dictionary/kanji/7953/撿

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...