Arsenal Stamps.

I have run across several pronunciations for the 眞金入 stamp.  The character 眞 can also be written as 真.  The various pronunciations and discussions about them can be found at the links below.

2010 ma kane hisa or shin gane iru = Arsenal Stamps. Post #76.

2011 magane iri = Help with translations. Please!

2013 shin-gane iri = Masafusa

2015 shin-gane iri = Arsenal Stamps. Post #235.

• 2 weeks later...

Beginning the new year with the latest version of the Stamps Document, v. 7.3.  I'm starting to feel like it's final phase.  Barring any major new discoveries, or uncovering some of the "unknowns", we've all hit this pretty good, and I want to thank everyone who has participated in creating it.

7.3 includes some grammatical fixes, a couple of added kakihan, and a small intro to "Kamon (Family Crests) on blades" with 2 examples.  My favorite update is the discovery by Thomas (Kiipu) with an assist by Nick Komiya of a probable shop name for a navy dirk that has a Tosho script kanji on the guard.

image.png.fba6618b7fc028f68a61434a079bc82d.pngTohso mei are also seen on flags as shrine stamps.  I've recently seen the Emperor's stamp, and it was written in Tosho script.  Thomas found a shop named "Echizen’ya Tazaki Shōten" whose first kanji "is pretty darn close, close enough to list it as "likely".  That discussion can be found HERE at Warrelics.

Another Buddhist "flaming jewel" was added, for a total of 3.  Two are on Kanemune and Amahide blades, which is significant because Kanemune worked for Amahide at his forge (thanks Mal Cox!).  So this mark could be something they did, rather than something requested by a customer, or at least an "option" offered by the forge to customers.

image.png.e5e81aa28a7d4fea06103211ce51ae96.pngon a Amahide blade

7.3 can be found HERE

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kiipu said:

both sides of a dirk crossguard

Thomas,

In the world of "gunto" I suppose we never get to retire!  Thanks for the fabulous picture.  I've added it to the Navy section of 7.4.

I thought I had never seen 2 stamps on a dirk before, too, but when I went to save this one to the files, look what I found! Ha!  I have so many files, now, I don't even know what I've got.

Toyokawa with Nakano Shoten:

post-2667-0-80388600-14762979571.jpeg

Adding the one in your link before it goes dead:

Toyokawa plus Suya Shoten:

1640512121_ToyokawaandSuya.thumb.jpg.21ad06e8941749ee95c63658ffb1f99f.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I don't recognize it, nor find it on the Army inspector reg chart.

The kanji character 鉢 does not show up in the 1943 inspection mark regulations nor am I aware of a sword company that uses that character..

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

mark on the Fuchi

Wow, that's a new one!  Good catch!  It's obviously manufactured into the design.  So, I agree with you that it seems unlikely to be a kamon.  Plus, I couldn't find a mon of this design.  Similar ones have 2 horizontal lines, not 1.  There's a Tsunemitsu shop that has an emblem very similar, but the line doesn't go all the way across:

1931377415_TsunemitsuShop.thumb.jpg.df968ad19b87bab627d37be92e051ccb.jpg

A real mystery.  I like your idea about it marking where they want the chuso button.  In English, we say "X marks the spot".  Do you know if the Japanese have a symbol they use for "marking the spot?"

On 1/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

I just saw this photo, noticed this mark on the fuchi, don't think it is 家紋, what do you guys think?  Is it mark mean to go through for the 駐爪 hole?

An interesting find and a sharp eye to boot.  Do you have any other information on the sword, such as a mei or date?  It looks to be army judging by the fittings.

3 hours ago, Kiipu said:

An interesting find and a sharp eye to boot.  Do you have any other information on the sword, such as a mei or date?  It looks to be army judging by the fittings.

I only have one photo of this sword, it should be Type 98.I will try and see if I can get more information.

Once again, I'm reminded of the axiom "When it comes to gunto, never say 'never' and never say 'always'"!  Reading Mal Cox' excellent article on "Seki Swordsmiths and Japanese Naval Swords", I came across this Kaigunto - Navy - gunto - with a Showa-stamped Kanenao blade.  All sources up to now have always (ooh, there's that word!) said that Showa stamps are "ONLY" found on Army blades.  And I've repeated that in the Stamps Doc.  Well, I guess that is going to be changed to "predominantly" found on Army blades!  The change will be in 7.4 when it comes out.

Kaigunto.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-27 115454.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-27 115557.jpg

Screenshot 2021-01-27 115747.jpg

4 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Once again, I'm reminded of the axiom "When it comes to gunto, never say 'never' and never say 'always'"!  Reading Mal Cox' excellent article on "Seki Swordsmiths and Japanese Naval Swords", I came across this Kaigunto - Navy - gunto - with a Showa-stamped Kanenao blade.  All sources up to now have always (ooh, there's that word!) said that Showa stamps are "ONLY" found on Army blades.  And I've repeated that in the Stamps Doc.  Well, I guess that is going to be changed to "predominantly" found on Army blades!  The change will be in 7.4 when it comes out.

Screenshot 2021-01-27 115747.jpg

Yes that is a Showa stamp on the Kai Gunto, unless it's remount.Never say never to Gunto.

I was also interested to read, in Mal's Seki/Navy article, that the Navy stamping doesn't seem to be present on their blades until 1942.  I'll have to add that to my Stamps Survey.  It brings up the question of "why not?"  Did the Navy just thumb their noses at the law which required stamps on non-traditionally made blades, which started around 1938 (or sooner)?  Does this indicate that the "law" wasn't a law at all, but an Army Regulation?  I wish we had documentation about the stamping "law."  This observation by Mal, that the Navy blade stamping began in 1942 coincides with the Army's assumption of control over ALL sword production at that same time.

5 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I was also interested to read, in Mal's Seki/Navy article, that the Navy stamping doesn't seem to be present on their blades until 1942.  I'll have to add that to my Stamps Survey.  It brings up the question of "why not?"  Did the Navy just thumb their noses at the law which required stamps on non-traditionally made blades, which started around 1938 (or sooner)?  Does this indicate that the "law" wasn't a law at all, but an Army Regulation?  I wish we had documentation about the stamping "law."  This observation by Mal, that the Navy blade stamping began in 1942 coincides with the Army's assumption of control over ALL sword production at that same time.

Bruce, careful please I dont think I made that definitive statement.   I did say "indicated' after 1940,  and its referring to navy establishments and some later blades dont have it.    BTW this is a compilation, it ain't the Bible.

4 hours ago, mecox said:

this is a compilation, it ain't the Bible.

Fair enough Mal.  I get excited sometimes and run my mouth before I dig into the facts!  I'll start tracking the Navy stamps and see what develops.  I think it's going to be a tougher study, though, as there are less Navy blades to tabulate and my rough impression of them is that more so than Army, they aren't dated very often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 5:05 PM, gustaf said:

added value

Carl,

Sorry for not  responding very quickly!  I have read (don't remember where) that the stamp does indicate that the blade is made of tamahagane, and therefore could be traditionally made.  So that can add value to a gunto for guys who want a gendaito.

This is a new one, brought to my attention by @mecox and found on a Shigemitsu blade.   NO idea what it's significance is.  Kissing ducks?  Big mustache?  It's the forth blade found, now, with the Toyokawa anchor with another stamp underneath.  It's not a kao, because Shigemitsu has a distinct kao, and they are placed at the end of the nakago, not at the top like this. 

Mal also notice (got by me at first!) that the anchor has no circle!  Looking closely, I believe the anchor was hand-made, not a stamp like the norm.  No idea of the significance of that, either, if any.

On a Shigemitsu.jpg

moustache.jpg.30f6213f62d3f77a025befc83cc8bf26.jpg(photo not of Shigemitsu, but simply for comparison)

On 1/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

I just saw this photo, noticed this mark on the fuchi, don't think it is 家紋, what do you guys think?  Is it mark mean to go through for the 駐爪 hole?

家紋 = kamon = family crest.

駐爪 = scabbard release button.

BangBangSan, I have no idea what it is or what it is for but here is a link to another.

Smallest mon?

Edited by Kiipu

3 hours ago, Kiipu said:

家紋 = kamon = family crest.

駐爪 = scabbard release button.

BangBangSan, I have no idea what it is or what it is for but here is a link to another.

Smallest mon?

I know what 駐爪 is.I was trying to say if that is "X marks for the 駐爪".

That 80's photo George post looks like the same mark on the Fuchi I post.

• Thanks 2