Arsenal Stamps.

I don't recall seeing these stamps on this thread yet (if it is, please let me know and I'll delete this!)

From Alex, as seen for sale via the web, a contractor and inspector stamp on a Kokura Arsenal Type 95 gunto. As far as I can find, the contractor stamp is legit, but classed "Unknown". Any ideas on the inspector stamp? My guess is the "Ho" of Kokura 1st.

post-3487-0-99783200-1485191967_thumb.png

post-3487-0-25286700-1485191982_thumb.png

Neil,

I believe I have read that this was a patent number. It is described on Ohmura's site, but it's in Japanese:

右より

實用新案特許

若瀬軍刀製作所(東 京市芝區)の商標  裏: 第213917號

I think that's the same number as yours, so it most likely is a patent number and not a serial number.

As always, leave it to you to have a very beautiful example of every variation of the gunto!!! I love it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't recall seeing these stamps on this thread yet (if it is, please let me know and I'll delete this!)

From Alex, as seen for sale via the web, a contractor and inspector stamp on a Kokura Arsenal Type 95 gunto. As far as I can find, the contractor stamp is legit, but classed "Unknown". Any ideas on the inspector stamp? My guess is the "Ho" of Kokura 1st.

Here is both the Kokura "Ho" and Kokura First Arsenal "Ko." on a nakago mune.

Army Arsenal Kokura Factory - Kokura Army Arsenal inspection mark: "Ko".

"Ko" stamp is not discovered except for the following example. It seems that the inspection mark

used the "To" commonly since most Tokyo Factories relocated to Kokura Factory.

Army Arsenal Kokura First Factory inspection mark: "Ho"

The Ko is above the Ho, and fainter.

post-3487-0-00262500-1489596707_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

OK, this might qualify for its own thread, the moderators might want to spin it off. If so, would you pin it so we can add to it as time goes by? I've been seeing several sepia and tsuba with undecipherable Kanji. My theory is that they are a Logo of the craftsman or the company making the fittings, sort of like the curvy checkmark of Nike shoes. I've tried the "Translations" forum and haven't had any takers on translation.

post-3487-0-98759300-1492791964_thumb.png

post-3487-0-96666500-1492801481_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-34930000-1492801494_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-40005400-1492801758_thumb.jpg

No.  I even did a short search on other Kanetaka blades, and don't see it on the few I could find pictures of.  It is so well imprinted, it almost locks fake, though I not saying that it is!  There is a word for these personalized smith stamps.  Looks like he came up with one at some time in his career.  Very interesting one!

I think the word you're looking for is Kokuin. This is interesting since most (all that I've seen) are a representation - sometimes highly stylized - of their name. I don't see Kanetaka in this stamp (but I have been known to be quite dense).

Edit - Yup. Dense. Kanetaka is there...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

More nakago mune stamps.

attachicon.gif IMG_7771.JPG on my Muto Hidehiro.

attachicon.gif IMG_7782.JPG on my Yoshu Hiromasa.

Regards,

Hoanh

Hoanh,

It only took me 2 years to get to you on this! But both are arsenal inspector marks.

Top on is "Na" of Nagoya arsenal, and "Ho" of Kokura 1st Arsenal

Bottom is "Ko" of Kokura, and "Ho" of Kokura 1st Arsenal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys,

looks like the kanji for SAKA (Osaka) on the mune (struck sideways). This appears in tiny form on some gendaito the same as tiny seki and na stamps appear on RJT swords (both on the nakago shinogi-ji and nakago mune). Can't remember exactly, but might be seen on Nagamitsu and some others. I'm sure it has been mentioned in the longer posts on stamps.

Regards,  

• Like 1