Arsenal Stamps.

I think that most collectors of nihon-to collect them, at least for the most part, for the craftsmanship shown in the forged steel and the activities in the quenched edge. Most stamped swords are not traditionally made and do not have the qualities that attract collectors of art swords. Therefore, I don't think that the outcome of the war has anything to do with the disinterest shown for these blades, rather, it is their lack of any artistic merit.

Hi Scott, I echo what Chris says...it is always the quality of the blade that attracts the nihonto collector's interest...that is why the vast majority of WWII swords are ignored (seki/sho stamped), because they have no artistic merit as nihonto. It is not saying they have no value as military history items, just not of interest to us.

Regards,

BTW, tirade away any time you like :) ...I like a good tirade myself once in a while :lol: ...just be prepared for some ack-ack fire! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

agree with chris and george here,

majority of gunto blades were mass produced for a specific reason and equipment / machinery were at hand to churn them out in the 1000s so to speak.

like anything in life they are exceptions and many , many fine blades were produced but you need to look for them as you never know whats hiding under the saya lol

many sword collectors will pass racks of guntos on display as 99% will be inferior

Thanks Ian,

The stamps on the mune of your RJT blade are "na" and "ho"...meaning Nagoya Arsenal and a second inspection mark.

FYI Motomura Kanemoto of Saga originally trained in the Muto School. I had a RJT blade by Muto Hidehiro (see this thread, page 1) and his mune had "ko" and "ho" indicating Kokura arsenal inspection.

Regards,

Pleasure George,tried to get a shot of the nie and activities, it is nicer in person,but the flash decimated the hada,what is this large piece of nie called,and the activity behind it.

The hamon is prickly with tiny Ashi all along,and two lines of nie in the kissaki,a lot of work for a showato, as some closed minded people still think.

A week ago I inquired about an rjt sword,and asked,is there a star stamp, reply"why would you want that,it's just piece of milled steel",here we go again I thought.ha ha

Best regards.

Ian bellis

Hi Eric,

This is not the place to ask kantei questions...Brian might move your hamon pic and question to the appropriate thread?

Just quickly, very coarse nie is usually called ara nie and "lines of nie" in the kissaki can be an indicator of masame hada.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

just an update on the stamp appearing on the blade near the habiki.

This came from a Japanese fellow on another forum by chance.

these 應 marked swords are late war lowered standard swords probably made in China for local and Japanese officers. The Kanji 應 is an older style of the Kanji 応 which is most likely a shortened form of 応急 meaning "emergency", like those similarly 応 marked emergency T-99 rifles.

Cisco san, is the tsuba on your one similar to the one on pg12 of this thread?

Ern

post-3094-1419690408539_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...