Arsenal Stamps.

• 2 weeks later...
So does anyone else know if this "wa" stamp is a desirable stamp one would want to find....

Brian,

have a look in the information pages. You will find that most hot stamps are found on mass produced blades. In this case you even have impressions of a vise or a clamp on the NAKAGO which you don't want to see at all.

NIHONTO means traditionally forged blades, and this is in my understanding what this forum is mainly devoted to. It is generous and tolerant of Brian (the boss) to offer a war-time forum, but these blades (if machine made and oil quenched) and their mountings are simple militaria and are of no artistic value.

I understand you like these blades but there is not much you can learn from it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Attached is one I never did find out about,Unsigned Katana with full length HI and fine hanyaki hamon. Mounted in Kyu Gunto army mounts and with two Mon.

Someone recently pointed this out to me...

Stamp is indeed double struck. It is the smith's name: Naohiro. Remember, Japanese is read right to left traditionally.

直弘

Family name is Yanagawa. From Saitama.

大慶直胤--直弘[初代](土野留助)--直弘[二代](柳川才次郎)--直弘[三代](柳川昌喜)-- 直弘[四代](松原英一)(埼玉県大宮在住)

This is most likely the work of the second generation. During the Meiji and Taisho periods, he worked at the army arsenal in Tokyo making blades for sabres and other western style swords. He also made razors and the like. I have seen this stamp before on a razor as I recall....

That is good information Chris (edit to add...your info rang a bell... I looked up my notes and I once had in hand a sword signed "Toto ju Ushoshin" (see Rich Stein's oshi list) which is Yanagawa Ushoshin, a Betseki smith according to 'Mezurashii Senzen no Gendai Tosho Banzuke 1943. As this was a swordsmith workshop who made Shoshin-to I suppose the Ushoshin may be a "brand" rather than a mei, but these were the brothers Yanagawa as you say Chris (see also 'Dainihon Token Shoko Meikan 1942 p.72).

A better example of this Naohiro mei stamp is attached here.....on a Meiji/Taisho era kyugunto with bo-hi.

Apart from this Naohiro, the WWII tosho Iijima Masayuki of Yamanashi and Tokyo is the only other smith that I know of who used a stamp for his mei.

Regards,

post-787-14196849220649_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not an arsenal stamp, but maybe the first mon on a Type 3 gunto that has been reported...certainly I have never seen one in 40 years of collecting...from Roy Lindus' site.

Edit to add pic of mon. It is an anchor...maybe not a family mon...maybe a unit mon?

2nd edit: the anchor is recorded in a list of kamon designs on-line...it is called Maru ni Kigen Ikari. The source pictures a virtually identical anchor in a circle but no family names are given for it.

post-787-14196850732314_thumb.jpg

post-787-14196850774453_thumb.jpg

Any one come across these before?

I think it is a Manchurian made sword, late war.

The 20 stamen Plum Blossom is supposed to be used instead of the 5 petal Cherry, from what i know, but it appears to be of low quality. Any comments??

Also, i have never seen a stamping on the blade itself, usually on the nakago.

The stamp on the nakago has got me stumped as well.

Thanks in advance

Ernst

post-3094-14196850915838_thumb.jpg

post-3094-14196850922235_thumb.jpg

post-3094-14196850925898_thumb.jpg

post-3094-14196850931176_thumb.jpg

post-3094-14196850938198_thumb.jpg

post-3094-14196850986964_thumb.jpg

The one stamp looks like 應 the verb ataru, one meaning 'to accept'. I don't know by whom this sword was accepted or OK'd. It does look like Chinese manufacture. 應 in Chinese is not used in the sense of acceptance though.In Chinese it is used as in this sentence " 我們應該去。" (Cantonese) "Ngo ying gai hueh. " " We should go. " Where 應 means 'should'. John

I believe the sword is late war made in Manchuria, as it was considered a seperate country by the Japanese, (even after they occupied and 'colonised' it) they used a 15 and a 20 Stamen Plum Blossom instead of the traditional 5 Petal Cherry Blossom.

I'm not sure if they were used on the tsuba's as i haven't come across any of these.

My concern is with the quality of the fitting primarily. Does it appear genuine??

Ernst

• 2 months later...

Hi Curtis and George

Could you expand on this signature, and especially the stamp? Why?

Because yesterday on a visit to a close friend, he showed me an identical sword with the nakago stamped thus. He had a curiosity, but no idea what is was.

Thanks Denis.

Hi Again George and thanks.

Where I was stuck and could not relate to the, stamp was that I did not have a translation of the mei. I now have Kanekiyo, this should be a little test for me.

A Showa smith, non traditional blade, 1940ish. I should have a go at this one.

Denis.