AN UNUSUAL BALL CARRIER FOR A TANEGASHIMA

Dear Members,

For those interested in the Tanegashima ( Japanese Matchlock ), ... and their accessories, ... I thought I might picture a rather unusual accoutrement. I don't know whether to call it a Doran ( ammunition case ), ... or a Tama-iri ( ball bag ). It is made of wood, and is lacquer covered. The ojime helps keeps the box closed while attached to the obi. The netsuke is missing but was probably quite simple in design as this was certainly a heavily used item. The side ( back side ) has much of the laquer worn away from rubbing on the hip of the gunner. The cord is tied/anchored at a small opening at the back of the main body of the container. The cord then passes thru two U shaped iron staples one at the very back of the lid and one at the narrow front end of the lid, thence through a small opening at the front ( narrow section ) of the main body, ... then through a bead ( ojime ). The weight of the box and contents keep the lid tightly ( closed ) secured to the main body of the box. It took me awhile to figure out what the box was made for, ... until it dawned upon me to put a few musket balls inside. Voila, ... puzzle solved. A most ingenious and handy way of carrying musket balls. It is the only example I have seen, ... Simple but very well made. Sorry I do not have photos of the inside showing how the mechanism works, ... but my explanation should provide a pretty accurate picture.

Submitted for the enjoyment and study of the NMB members ... Ron Watson

post-1782-14196784583073_thumb.jpg

post-1782-14196784586624_thumb.jpg

OK so that's (licking tip of pencil) 9.5 cm long, and 6.3 cm wide, and 2.4 cm thick. What material is it lined with, inside the 'box' and inside the lid, Ron? You wouldn't have a photo of the complicated opening and staples bit you were describing above, perhaps? Oh, and one other thing, would you say that this would have been waterproof when hung from the Obi?

You must be wondering what's going on inside my head. Never seen anything like it, and ball bags tend to be soft in my experience. :dunno: The outline inside the case suggests to me a small bottle or flask, and if it is gun-related, then the most natural thing would be to keep a primer flask sealed dry inside. I always have to be very careful with my primer flask when we do a demo on a rainy day. In fact I usually keep it inside the Doran until just before we are marched out into our firing positions. Then I have the struggle to tie it to my nipple ring or bandolier necklace, with my hands otherwise full with one long gun, one burning match, one gun block rest, and one Triton Horagai horn.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking, but no real basis for this. I might print those photos out and show them around, if you wouldn't mind?

Dear Piers,

The depth with the lid in place would accomodate 5 monme balls. The balls I have in situ are 2 monme balls, ... which are a little loose, ... but still fit well enough. The inside of the lid and lining of the box is just dark wood with a very old black stain or just dark patina. I would say the box would be fairly weather proof. I doubt it was designed to hold a powder flask, ... as one would have to remove the string to remove the box contents. It really makes more sense to have been for carrying balls, as they are easily dispensed from the narrow end. I regret I do not for now have a photo of the inside showing the mechanism. The mechanism is not complicated, ... but rather simple in its ingenuity and quite effective.

... Ron Watson

Dear Piers,

It dispenses the balls only in that they run down to the narrow end .. to then be picked out one at a time. There is no automatic mechanism for dispensing the balls. It all works rather well, ... In the second picture the outside of the lid is showing. Note the wear to the finish from rubbing against the hip of the user.

... Ron Watson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..