Bent Matchlock Barrel

Hi guys,

If the barrel of a matchlock were to suffer a slight and gradual bend, how difficult would it be, or is it even possible, to straighten? I know how to straighten a sword; never had any experience with a matchlock barrel.

Thanks, Grey

Dear Grey,

I assume you are asking about one of the rather long matchlock barrels. If so these are not overly thick, ... and since you are not likely to be worrying about shooting it, .... you may simply be able to but it in a good vice with a block of wood on each side to protect the metal, ... and gently bend the barrel using your hands and applying opposite pressure to the bend. A little trouble to explain, ... but not impossible. You may have to adust the positioning of the barrel in the vice as you continue to straighten. If you care to phone me this evening and e-mail me a photo or post a photo of the overall barrel showing the extent of the bend I will walk you through the task. Alternatively, ... you should be able to find a competent Gunsmith who will straighten the barrel satisfactorily. I will PM you my phone number and e-mail address momentarily. ... Ron Watson

Hello!!

As someone who has made quite a few dozen barrels (all pattern welded..but still it's a barrel...one of whch was for my .45 120 3 1/4" SS rifle...) if you are going to attempt to straighten it cold I suggest that you fill the entire barrel with sand, and the drive in a soft wood (like pine, poplar, whitewood or something similar) and the torque it straight. The sand will prevent the barrel from "kinking" or creasing during straightening...Whatever you do I would say DO NOT HEAT IT UP....

Now there are some techniques for straightening a tube where you will the barrel with water and the water filled barrel/tube is then placed in a freezer until the water has turned to ice but I would forgo that due to the fact that as a metallurgist I wouldn't want to chance any posibility of causing a crack due to cold..Old iron can be really finiky when it come to being moved at freezing temps.. Hell's Bells..you are going to be taking a big enough chance straightening the barrel cold with the sand..no need to "complicate" matters with below freezing temps unless there is no other choice...

Anyway that's how I'd do it... Hope this helps

JPH

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..