juyo piece?

Jason,

If you go to the links at the top of the page and Danny Massey's site Nihontocraft.com. there is an article defining NBTHK standards.

For Juyo it says:

Juyo Token

Blades made in a period from Heian to Edo, having Tokubetsu Kicho, Koshu Tokubetsu Kicho, Hozon or Tokubetsu Hozon papers, of extremely high quality workmanship and state of preservation, and judged as close to Juyo Bijutsuhin, may receive Juyo Token paper.

2) Blades that meet the criteria given above and made in or before Nambokucho may receive Juyo Token paper even if they are mumei. Blades made in Muromachi and Edo periods, as a rule, have to be ubu and zaimei to receive Juyo Token paper.

Basically for a sword to obtain Juyo papers it must be of execellent workmanship and demonstrate all the characteristics of a school or smith. As near as is possible there should be no doubt regarding its attribution.

It is quite often the case that if a sword is especially rare or an important historical work the panel may tolerate some tiredness or other faults which would not be acceptable in a more standard work. In Nihonto Koza there are examples of Juyo blades that hav virtually lost their boshi, but their importance, and rarity have resulted in them being awarded Juyo status.

As to whether this blade is likely to obtain such papers, well the only way to find out is to submit it. The price being asked seems very high for a TH piece but this perhaps reflects the rairty of this smiths work.

There is little to see in the video that demonstrates the quality described and there is tiredness (not surprising considering its age) I dont doubt it would look a lot better in hand and show much of the quiet elegnce one should expect from such a piece.

reagrds

Paulb

best to judge it based on waht it is, not what it "might be". If the owner thought it would make Juyo and was going to sell it i wonder why it was not submitted last year, or sold after the shinsa this year. There are plenty of blades that are TH and "might make Juyo".

Hi All

I don't yet submit to Juyo shinsa. I was going to submit it to Juyo of the last year.However, I canceled it. For, Recent NBTHK is confusing. If my information is right,NBTHK was excluded from the jurisdiction of the Agency for Cultural Affairs. The authorization of the foundation would be canceled, too.

The issue of money of and much concealment....

Faction of the NBTHK organization inside...

And Defeat of Mr. Tanobe.

There is many problem in NBTHK.

Anyway, and the trust of nbthk is deteriorating.I was afraid that JUYO became the paper without the creditworthiness. As for my tomoyuki, it's not tired.

Nakamura

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..