Naginata

RobertM

So long story short, i noticed this in a local auction, put in a small bid and won. I took a punt and lost... Naginata has what looks like original 6-7 foot pole with pealing laqure. The signature on the tang has been cleaned, but the rest of the tang left alone. Can anyone translate? Blade is pitted, no sign of hamon. Groves appear to be filled with red paint not lacqure, and the small groves are even a little wonkey, oh dear. Note to self dont blind bid on local auctions :freak:

post-145-14196781647222_thumb.jpg

post-145-14196781648943_thumb.jpg

post-145-14196781650645_thumb.jpg

post-145-14196781651924_thumb.jpg

So long story short, i noticed this in a local auction, put in a small bid and won. I took a punt and lost... Naginata has what looks like original 6-7 foot pole with pealing laqure. The signature on the tang has been cleaned, but the rest of the tang left alone. Can anyone translate? Blade is pitted, no sign of hamon. Groves appear to be filled with red paint not lacqure, and the small groves are even a little wonkey, oh dear. Note to self dont blind bid on local auctions :freak:
Robert, depending on how small your bid was I say you did alright. Original poles are hard to come by and over all it looks like a nice piece. Did the blade come with its cover?

Your right there Robert. Not sure what is up with both bohi??? Very sloppy for sure.

Can you get a whole blade shot? That would be the best to see what you have there.

The pole looks like it was very nice at one time. That looks like a silver foil habaki. Are some of the pole fittings silver foil as well?

Hard to tell from the pics.

Hi, will post some more pics tomorrow. The other fittings on the pole appear to be copper with foil on top (possibly silver?) I suspect the last owner has done a bit of DIY with the bohi. Its a shame because the damage is done. There was also another naginata for sale, unsigned with a 8 foot bamboo pole obviously from the same owner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..