All,

I have been working on the Nihonto basic FAQ that was mentioned a while ago.

Although in the testing phase, I have a few subjects up already at http://www.militaria.co.za/faq.html

This is also linked at the top left of the forum for those using the default "Nihonto" visual theme. I would like ppl to take a look, and let me know if there is basic info that is either incorrect, or needs to be added. Some topics still need to be added, and I am looking for people to write those voluntarily.

This is NOT meant to be some Nihonto encyclopedia or "last-word-on-the-subject" It is just basic info that we can refer people to when they ask common questions.

I did have a good suggestion to add a separate FAQ forum section with all the questions that can be added to as threads, and I thought it a good idea, but on doing it I discovered that the order was mixed every time a new post was added, and it became impossible to properly regulate into sections. So for now I will try this separate page.

I will still add a decent "fakes vs real" topic using some of Grey's excellent eBay article, but want to add a bit to it.

Let's not get too pedantic here, as said...this is basic info and meant for beginners and not those who know the basics.

Sorry those (Rich S) who don't use Javascript. The FAQ does use it, although perhaps it still displays the basics with it off.

Brian

Edit to add: I have used info here from member's posts, and other sections sent to me by members in the past. I don't remember everyone who contributed sections of it, so to those ppl, please accept my thanks, and if you let me now, I will properly credit you.

Hi Brian et al:

I should have read those rules decades ago! It would have saved a lot of time and MONEY!

I enjoyed the FAQ and do think that in a friendly way new members to the board should be encouraged to read them on joining.

I might have broadened the 10 rules to include more things such as

Never mix in to an ongoing transaction at a show or other place.

Buy books and read them, yes read them. Some books can be reread every year or two. It is surprizing how much you miss on the first read. As you learn more you appreciate more what the author is telling you. So read them again.

Trading with friends leads to both parties having new study material. You do not have to win on every trade as long as things average out. Some people will elnd you books and even blades to study.

This is getting a little long - perhaps stopping at 10 was the right idea :D

Thanks for the FAQ. It took me a few months of searching through the threads to get some of the information that is presented very well imho in the FAQ. I especially like the intermediate and up book recommendations. I've seen many forum members recommend buying and reading books but I was not sure which ones to consider beyond the beginner books until now.

Hi Brian,

If you would post a list of FAQs you want answers written for, we can lay claim to them and get busy.

I would add "Token Bijutsu", the 59 volumes of the English edition (if you can find them), to the suggested books answer. Still the best information on the subject in English.

Grey

Barry,

The rules you have added are very true and could be inserted in the FAQ :

- Never interfere in a transaction, it is like being between the hammer and the anvil as we say in French

- If you buy books read them : at least three times. I have books I have read more than 30 times.

Once you think a book cannot bring you anymore (Not talking of Nihonto) pass it on, books are made to be shared, discussed .....

Thanks guys, encouraging comments. I will add the suggestions noted here in a day or 2.

Grey, those questions marked "coming soon" or similar still need articles written. I know there are other subjects that need covering too.

I wouldn't mind a small one showing the difference between bad horimono covering flaws, and good horimono. Lots of other topics need to be done.

How about the difference between sashikomi and kesho? (without leaning one way or another)

Also need a good one for the militaria guys about the different steels used in WW2 swords, noting that something can be forged but not be of tamahagane.

I must mention that I cannot claim credit for those very good rules at the top. I know at one point both Carlo and Ted both sent me very good points to note, and I cannot remember which one sent these. I think I somehow lost the other contribution which was very good, and wouldn't mind getting it again to post... :oops:

Brian

Hi all,

I will write answers to Why Polish? and Buying on Ebay & Online, unless someone else has his heart set on those. Then I will write one that answers the frequently asked: "I'm a newbie and I have a sword and I want to get it polished and/or get it mounted. What should I do? I'll email them to you, Brian.

Grey

Thanks Grey, looking forward to them. No rush though.

Although it is easy for us to say "don't buy on eBay" I think that knowing many will anyways, we have to tackle subjects such as this with an attitute of "this is why you shouldn't buy without having the sword in hand...but if you do anyways, then at least do the following..... etc etc etc.."

Piers already contributed a nice basics on taking apart a tanegashima (without knowing it at the time :D ) but anyone with experience in armour or other items is free to do a basic article. How about something on what to look for in tsuba/iron?

We also need articles on how to identify tired blades, and a decent article on what flaws are fatal and what aren't. The list goes on and on...

Brian

I must mention that I cannot claim credit for those very good rules at the top. I know at one point both Carlo and Ted both sent me very good points to note, and I cannot remember which one sent these. I think I somehow lost the other contribution which was very good, and wouldn't mind getting it again to post... :oops:

The ten rules was my contribution, so Carlo's must be your missing one. I wrote the ten rules two or three years ago to send to folks new to collecting (or veteran for that matter). It was originally titled "Ted's Ten Rules for Collecting Nihonto" and was built upon my experiences collecting coins and militaria for over 20 years. I left that gendre with a number of burned "friendships" and a really big chip on my shoulder for the way I was treated in the beginning, during, and in the end of collecting which retrospect brought into more clarity. It's by far not a perfect list, but was born more or less out of streaming thought. I truely hope it helps.

I'm sure there's lots of things that could be supplimented such as Barry's and Jean's advice which are also very good. Perhaps something less about what not to do and more about first steps. Maybe something like "Getting Started; Checking the Depth and Temperature Before Diving In". :) Or maybe this which I think Guido sent me a long time ago :rotfl:

Anyways, thanks to Brian and to all who are contributing to this effort. It's a great cause.

post-44-14196781625039_thumb.gif

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..