A naginata curiosity

sanjuro

Gentlemen.

I was given this naginata blade complete with habaki and seppa, a couple of years ago. I have yet to decide if the gift was well meant or an act of vengeance. The condition is atrocious, and the blade has lain in all its gruesome unkempt glory in drawer awaiting the attention I had intended to give it as a polishing project.

I hear the peals of laughter as you all roll around the floor in spasms of mirth, but yes, I am serious! The blade whilst in a sorry state is quite sound and has no major flaws (That I can find). The hamon is a shallow gunome with a wide turnback at the kissaki. I do not think this is a Chinese fake, otherwise I would not trouble you all with viewing this post

Your assistance (and forebearance) is requested in identifying its maker. I have the signature as Toshinaga and I thought that those of you with access to oshigata may be able to first confirm this and perhaps narrow it down a bit since there are a whole raft of Toshinaga's. The blade is Edo period (I think) based on size and saki sori type. other than this and what is evident I have no clue. I have posted a minimum of pictures so that your sensibiliies are not too offended by its condition. The picture of the seppa is included as the characters on this are also a mystery

: Length about 26.2"(66.7cm), Nagasa 14.7"(37.5cm)

: Width(motohaba) 0.9"(2.4cm)

post-1773-14196780624582_thumb.jpg

post-1773-14196780626855_thumb.jpg

post-1773-14196780677467_thumb.jpg

post-1773-14196780679387_thumb.jpg

I have yet to decide if the gift was well meant or an act of vengeance.

Well, if you don't like it. ;)

I think it has quite a pleasing shape, condition aside.

I'd be dubious about the mei.

Crude and newer rust inside the strokes.

Lee.

The mei has a white powder residue in it, in the pics. Possibly to bring up the strokes properly. The pics arent mine. I have removed the powder residue since, and the rusting in the chisel strokes of the mei is consistent with the rest of the nakago. I do agree though it is a fairly crude rendition of the mei.

Nice try on the veiled suggestion of a change of ownership, :D but the person who gave it to me is waiting patiently for me to polish it as I have promised. What possesses us to make such undertakings is a mystery to me! :?

Veiled? I think everyone saw me coming a mile away... :D

Give it to me and I'll promise to get it polished immediately.

You're more than welcome to the pics. ;)

Thanks for clarifying the mei.

I have access to a lot of Shibata Rei oshigata through a friend and the index I have shows 4 or 5 Toshinaga but none are niji-mei.

Mutsu No Kami Fujiwara Toshinaga - TOS290 - Ise

Bushu Ju Yamamoto Geki Toshinaga - TOS74 - Musashi

Mino No Kami Fujiwara Toshinaga (or Jiyumiyou) - JU32 - Mino

(Kyoto) Yamashiro No Kami Fujiwara Toshinaga - TOS287 - Yamashiro

I'll be able to check the oshigata tomorrow as we have a sword day planned so I'll see if your niji-mei is close to any of the above.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..