Tanegashima Ramrod Channel

I asked the following on another board, but had no replies. Maybe someone here has an answer:

One thing I noticed regarding both Japanese and Korean matchlocks is a split on the bottom of the stocks, which covers the entire length of the ramrod channel. As the barrel inlet side usually doesn't show a split, I'm wondering if the split had something to do with inletting the ramrod channel. Does anybody know?

Korean example (on a wall gun):

KMA9.jpg

Dear Thomas,

The channel as you say never goes thru the stock to the barrel bed. I believe it has eveything to do with the contracting and expansion of the wooden stock in the moist and sometimes temperature extremes in Japan. This crack allowed for the ramrod to expand and contract without cracking the stock, ... and allowed for it's extraction without ever being binding. It also helped prevent the portion of the stock ( barrel bedding ) not to crack for the same reasons. ...... Ron Watson

Dear Thomas,

That sir is one reason we normally see thimbles on European and American Muzzle Loading Arms. The other is the VERY difficult problem of drilling a sometimes 40 inch hole 3/8 of an inch in diameter in oak, ... without the bit running off to the side. I am totally astounded that somehow the Japanese were capable of such a feat. In some cases that I've seen, it appeared that they had used a core drill, as the grain in the ramrod matched the stock to perfection. Perhaps someone else can clarify better than I how this drilling was accomplished as I have seen where a MODERN lathe could not for hell or high water drill a hole without the bit wandering off to one side. However the holes were drilled, .... the tool must have been super sharp, and turning ever so very slowly. .... Ron Watson

The other is the VERY difficult problem of drilling a sometimes 40 inch hole 3/8 of an inch in diameter in oak,

Hi Ron,

A related question--I have seen the wood for stocks shown as both cherry and oak. Was one of those the preferred wood? Maybe another?

Thomas

The only wood I have personally encountered has been Japanese Oak, .... or at least what is called oak. I know it is different from the North American variety, ... but is always refered to as oak. Perhaps Piers can help out here as he lives in Japan. I personally have not heard of cherry, ... but I would not be surprised if other hard woods were ocassionally employed. ... Ron Watson

Other woods were used, but by far the most common is Kashi, particularly Akagashi or red oak.

Quercus acuta as Thomas says above. :beer:

Shiragashi or white oak was also used. Quercus myrsinaefolia

See for red oak:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%A2% ... C%E3%82%B7

See for white oak, all oaks:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AB%E3%82%B7

As to the slit below the ramrod, I have read that the cross-section of the stock acts as a pair of pincers. Removing the ramrod makes it easier to remove the barrel. Conversely, insertion of the barrel widens the top of the stock and at the same time narrows the ramrod hole below, making for a tighter fit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..