Any information on this maker?

RussellM

Greetings all, I'm a new member here and I am hoping you may be able to shed some information on the maker of this blade. I believe his name is Yoshichika. There are also two stamps on the nakago. I'm told this blade was made in March 1944, and it is in Type 3 Shin Gunto combat mounts, with a steel scabbard.

Any info on the maker, the meaning of the stamps, and method of manufacture would be greatly appreciated.

Pics to follow, taken by the previous owner:

Regards

Russ

post-2051-14196779821708_thumb.jpg

Hi John, many thanks for your reply.

I have carried out a search for the Chimata stamp, but I cannot find any information in the threads where it is mentioned, as to what it means. Can you offer any further assistance regarding the stamp and its significance?

It is read "Chimata" sometimes, but in WWII swords it is read "Ki or Gi" for Gifu prefecture where Nagoya is situated. Literally, it means "a fork in the road", which is probably how Nagoya came into existence, as situated at the juncture of two trading routes.

These three inspection/quality stamps are good evidence that your sword is probably the oil-quenched blade made in great numbers for the Army between 1943-1945. This blade is signed (I think) Yoshichika...he was a Seki Tosho working at Seki between 26th April 1943 and 1945...his family name is Yoshioka Tetsu?jiro or Ko?jiro.

Regards,

George.

Hi George and John, thankyou very much for this information. And John, thanks for the link to your most interesting site - beautiful blades!!

I will search for info on the oil-quenched method that was used to make this mass produced sword.

Your help is most appreciated - thankyou.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes, you're right...Hmmm, well I suppose it must mean the sword was made in Seki (Gifu) and then, as part of the process (mounting?), passed through the Nagoya arsenal?

Geo.

Correct....I believe the Nagoya Arsenal was the closest to Seki and likely many or most gunto made in Seki went through Nagoya....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..