*UPDATE**Is this signature gendai?**UPDATE*

jason_mazzy

I wish I even had an opinion on this. I am looking at kanji and haven't found any that resmble them yet. i am waiting on some books, but even on the website kanji list I haven't figured it out yet

best guess is:

masa

chica toshi

toshi/shun or testo

Any of these even look familiar?

This gentleman put the sword on ebay, as a daisho set. after my urging him to take the pictures and pull off the handles it may be a real treasure. He listed all the new pics on the listing. Please I know you guys are sick of ebay but take alook at the pictures. Thank you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123

he owns a shop where he ebays items for ppl. here is his reply:

My customer is a lady about mid-40's who sold me the set a few weeks ago. She said her grandfather was in Japan during WWII and brought the set home with him after the war. We believe the set may have been an award set or ornate gift of some sort. Have not been able to have the writings translated even by a young lady who grew up in Japan. Possibly dialect confusion, not sure.

well you eye sure has picked up, quite the set even if the mei is gimei, if it is. Koichi san told you how its signed ..google Kotetsu and youll find a big big name. as nice as all this is im sure it will go high. anyone have the tanto mei down?

Someone buy it quick just to get the prints off the blade. Nihonto Gods hit me up!!

Yes the bids started after i posted here. i am curious if one of our members will grab it. If you do remeber there are only pictures like those on the listing because of me lol
Seller canceled the auction???

The seller cancelled the auction to be relisted later after more research can be done. Maybe the seller will be visiting NMB to sought out some information.

I've looked at the oshigata from Fujishiro and I'm very sure it's gimei. One particular kanji was missing a couple of strokes. And if Grey is right about the date, it's a couple of hundred years later than it ought to be.

Sorry to ask a question which answer might appear obvious, but why nobody bidded on it? Are 1000$ too much?
Bruno, this item was listed in the wrong category, thats one reason it did not get the attention it might otherwise have. If it had been listed in the antique section I am sure it would have been noticed...I have purchased items on ebay that were listed wrong for much less than expected...putting an item within sight of your expected buyers takes a little knowledge of were those buyers will be looking. Jason did pretty good on this one!

Sorry to ask a question which answer might appear obvious, but why nobody bidded on it? Are 1000$ too much?

I think various bits of the koshirae alone were worth that and certainly the sword stand was worth more than that.

Katatan is gimei but I think most here would have not minded at that price...if it had stayed at that price.

Eric is right about the auction category being wrong but I've a feeling this was bought privately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..