Kato Sukekuni?

I purchased a Gendaito a bit ago off eBay. virtually flawless polish, only the expected tiny scuffs you'd get from sheathing or just plain existing it seems. Seller had limited english, but translated the nakago as Sukekuni.

Kato Sukekuni was the only Gendai era smith I could locate, but I couldn't find any examples of his work. I have found blades by some of his students like Sukehiro Saku, and was surprised to find badly scratched blades in need of repair were selling for almost double what I paid for my blade. Hopefully I got a steal on mine.

Here's the mei.

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronjustice/.P ... /omote.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/aaronjustice/.P ... ds/ura.jpg

Bit of an odd one. Appears to be a Sho stamp, yes. Tachi mei?

Was this in 1944 pattern mounts, noting the lower mekugi ana? Looks like it was possibly filed a bit too, especially at the top of the nakago...although I could be way off. Showa stamp indicates not traditional Gendaito. A few slight puzzles.

Brian

Bit of an odd one. Appears to be a Sho stamp, yes. Tachi mei?

Was this in 1944 pattern mounts, noting the lower mekugi ana? Looks like it was possibly filed a bit too, especially at the top of the nakago...although I could be way off. Showa stamp indicates not traditional Gendaito. A few slight puzzles.

Brian

Blade came in Shirasaya. Habaki is a bit rough, so it may have been a gunto habaki, not sure. I'll have pictures of the blade itself. Lighting isn't good now, but it's in very good polish, extremely tight konuka hada.

It seems to have the tiny Gifu/Chimata stamp on the nakago, that makes me think to a murato not gendaito. If it is the case, it shows that even machine-made(hand finished and oil quenched) blades can be really pretty with a full polishing job.

Very nice blade.

Not impressed to see us used once again for commercial info without an explanation or warning. :evil:

This was listed the day after you asked for the info? I guess it wasn't as much of a bargain as you claimed.

Looks like that is the last help you will get here from some. Have a nice day.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..