Gendai, anybody?

Dear Guys,

I know nothing about Gendai swords unless I have one in polish to see.

I have been looking at this sword (via email) but have no idea if he is a good Gendai kaji? I don't have any books on Gendai swords. I have one on order, but am yet to see it.

Is anybody able to tell as to whether this is a well rated Gendai smith, a sword with getting, all things being equal?

I can't even read the last kanji.

Thanks guys.

David

post-2031-14196779220052_thumb.jpg

Thank you Morita San.

I might just get it.

Thank you again.

Simon (Thekrish - what does that mean?) thank you for spotting the less than desirable nakago. Pause for thought that had escaped me.

This post started off a wave of insults as I didn't get to complete it. I was watching two auctions at the time and closed the wrong window.

Clearly there is a bed of hatred for another Simon.

I just want to talk swords.

Dave

Dear Morita San,

I have researched this man and found information indicating that he stopped working in 1935, yet this sword is date Showa 17, 1943.

In Hawley, MAS 314, there is a Katsumura Masakatsu working from1865 that has a TK listing, but this exact signature Katsumura Hitachi no Suke Minamoto Masakatsu, MAS 317 is given a lowly rating of 8 (for what it's worth) and listed as working from 1912-1935. This sword is dated 1943.

Could this be gimei or a second or third generation?

I have placed an offer on this sword. It's in Gunto mounts, the blade in poor but redeemable polish, but I wouldn't buy it if it were a Showa Gimei.

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

With Thanks,

David

post-2031-14196779222511_thumb.jpg

David,

You might also need to consider the cost of re paternating the nakago when it comes polishing time, unfortunatly the mei looks like its been licked with an engineering file :crazy:

And not that it helps much, but it's date of manufacture is 1942.

Simon

Dear Hunter,

To any experienced collector, Hawley's proclivities, multiple listings of the same smith, etc, etc, are a given. It was still a great body of work for an old man at that time and has helped us all tremendously.

Unfortunately, reminding us all of that still doesn't address the issues regarding this sword. It could be a good Gendai, or a waste of money. Gendai are not my area.

I was hoping for some positive analyses of the dilemma by one of the knowledgeable and tremendously helpful members of this board, as had been the result of my post of the Shinshinto katana with the obliterated kanji in the mei.

Thank you to all those you contributed once more.

If anybody does have an educated view on this issue, it would help me greatly.

David

Simon,

Yes, it doesn't look like the kanji of a master artist does it.

I think I might withdraw.

Thank you for reminding me of that.

Dave

David,

You might also need to consider the cost of re paternating the nakago when it comes polishing time, unfortunatly the mei looks like its been licked with an engineering file :crazy:

And not that it helps much, but it's date of manufacture is 1942.

Simon

Yes, I understand what he means.

The kanji are well cut but that just contrasts the nakago being; not finished well, or as he said, vandalised.

A good kaji with a well cut mei should have yasurimei and patina to fit. It doesn't.

Dave

i think Simon was talking about the patina being removed a bit, the stroks look fine to me. the blades work should be thought of also.

Morita san's ID is correct...a good gendai smith of Taisho-Showa eras. 2nd generation. Died 1947. Highly respected maker...the date 1935 relates to his beginning the use of the title "Hitachi no Suke". He was Rikugun jumei Tosho...special noted seat 1941. under normal circumstances I would like to have this sword in my collection...however...the nakago suffers from what looks like patches of deep rust...a rotten tang is bad enough on a shinto balde, but is fatal on a gendaito. The blade is very obscured by abrading...if it could be purchased cheap, it might be worth the risk for polishing. I think the rusty tang however might prevent it from being papered...also, it may have a star stamp somewhere which may cause problems with entry to Japan .

regards,

George.

Thank you George. Exactly the facts as required. I think I could get it for $700, but you're right about the nakago.

It's not that bad. I think it would repatinate well enough, but I'm cautious of Gendai blades and the associated proclivities, simply because when I was first collecting, we turned our noses up at anything post 1926. I had, I was told, two or three of the best Gendai smiths, katanas in near-new polish, but sold them for next to nothing.

A good sword is a good sword. I should have known better.

I have to go to bed and decide whether to advise of cancelation of this sword. It's only 26", so I think I may until I learn more about Gendai swords.

Thank you George. Your name rings a bell by the way.

Dave

Morita san's ID is correct...a good gendai smith of Taisho-Showa eras. 2nd generation. Died 1947. Highly respected maker...the date 1935 relates to his beginning the use of the title "Hitachi no Suke". He was Rikugun jumei Tosho...special noted seat 1941. under normal circumstances I would like to have this sword in my collection...however...the nakago suffers from what looks like patches of deep rust...a rotten tang is bad enough on a shinto balde, but is fatal on a gendaito. The blade is very obscured by abrading...if it could be purchased cheap, it might be worth the risk for polishing. I think the rusty tang however might prevent it from being papered...also, it may have a star stamp somewhere which may cause problems with entry to Japan .

regards,

George.

Wise comment...a good sword is a good sword.

About my name "ringing a bell"...did you hear about when Quasimodo fell out of the bell tower of Notre Dame?...the people in the street asked who this grotesque man was? "I don't know his name " said one man" but his face rings a bell".

Another said "There were twin brothers who both rang the church bells. I don't know which one this is 'cos they're dead ringers for each other".

Regards, :-)

George.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..