more help

44gpw

Without giving it away, I have the date, but it does not fit, so I am going on the assumption that I have the start date off. If someone can PM me or post the starting date, I can add the rest and continue my studies! I love this section, it really helps my learning of Japanese!

Ha...you've discovered the curse of the nengo!

No, Showa starts in 1926...BUT...the start year is 1, not 0 as in western calendar. eg, last year of Taisho is Tai 15 (1926) and start year of next reign is Showa 1 (1926)..Showa 2 is 1927...so Showa 19 is 1944. Last year of Showa is Sho 64 (1989)...first year of Heisei is Hei 1 (1989)...so this 2010 year is Hei 22. I suppose this "doubling" of end/start year probably accounts for a century or so of "extra years' if you add up all the nengos from the beginning. this has always been a problem for westerners until you learn to "dump" the "0".

Regards,

George.

Hi Justin, Showa starts in 1926 and year 1 is that year, so the 19th year is actually 18 years later. This convention is used in all dating of Japanese swords. The Nengo plus the numerals minus one for the first year. John

Ah, George has said it all while I was writing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..