Blade photos attached:Inoue Katsukiyo/Sadakane

I've a star stamped gunto signed "I (no) ue Katsukiyo saku", dated "autumn 1944".

I know (through communicating with Geo. Trotter-who dredged up the details) that Katsukiyo was the name used by the "future" Sadakane while studying with Sadakazu/Sadakatsu.

Question: When did Sadakane begin using the "Sadakane" mei, and was there a son/student using the "Katsukiyo" mei?

My thanks.

post-415-14196780096954_thumb.jpg

post-415-14196780098249_thumb.jpg

post-415-14196780099265_thumb.jpg

post-415-1419678010034_thumb.jpg

post-415-14196780101023_thumb.jpg

post-415-14196780102101_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hi, :D

First of all, I think that Katsukiyo(勝清) is a personal name though Katsukiyo looks like a swordsmith name.

I think,He used his personal name for sword(gun-to) Mei.

Attached tang photo is:

It is an Oshigata of the sword that he won the Prime Minister prize in the Japanese sword exhibition in 1936.

He already used "Inoue Sadakane"mei(貞包).

I believe, KatsuKiyo was 1gen-Sadakane, Katsuhiro was 2gen-Sadakane.

post-191-14196778613074_thumb.jpg

hi Todd,

I think Morita san's explanation must be correct...Katsukiyo is the personal name of Inoue Sadakane and seems to have been his toshomei before he was given "Sadakane" by the Gassan Sadakatsu/Sadakazu school (from Uchiyama sensei articles in NBTHK), and he must have used Katsukiyo in gunto, as your sword is dated 1944 and a Sadakane blade is dated from 1936 (Morita san's oshigata pic). I suppose another similar example of a tosho using a different name (I just remembered) in certain circumstamces would be Miyaguchi Ikkansai Toshihiro (who became Yasukuni tosho Yasuhiro in 1933) who used Ikkansai Kunimori when working swords at Okura Tanrenjo from 1937. The location of the forge and purpose of the work sometimes affects the use of mei.

An interesting case. nice find Todd.

Regards,

George.

Hi all,

Nice source the link !!, Moriyama san.

I believe the description on the link .

According to the description, Sadakane's personal name was Jinsaku.

He was born in 1893,and died in 1953.

Thereforey,my conclusion is: KatsuKiyo is a not personal name.

And he used two art-names (Sadakane and KatsuKiyo ).

Thank you all.

Well done Morita san.

So, as George indicated with his Toshhiro/Kunimore/Yasuhiro example, Sadakane and Katsukiyo were art names used simultaneously (dependent on circumstance/location).

Another example would be (Kotani) Yasunori/Takenori, (Kajiyama) Yasutoku/Taketoku; Yasukuni tosho mei at and away from Yasukini.

Hi all,

The attachment by Moriyama san is un-readable on my computer. Interesting that it says Inoue san's name was Jinsaku. I read it in Nihon Gendaito Shosho by Uchiyama (Part V page 4 ) as Inoue Katsukiyo Sadakane...that's what gave me the link between the two names...I originally thought this was evidence of two toshomei...which is correct....sorry I went off course Todd, I then thought it must be his "true" name. Well, its very interesting Todd...this use or different names ios more common than I thought.

Morita san's 1944 Jumei Tosho prizewinner list is very interesting...it looks familiar, what book is it from?...I notice my own star stamped sword dated 1944 is by a swordsmith in this list...Nagao Kunishiro of Aomori.

Regards to all,

George.

Morita san's 1944 Jumei Tosho prizewinner list is very interesting...it looks familiar, what book is it from?...I notice my own star stamped sword dated 1944 is by a swordsmith in this list...Nagao Kunishiro of Aomori.

Regards to all,

George.

Hi George san,

Oh yes, It contaeins Nagao Kunishiro, and also Ichihar Nagamitsu,Akimoto Akitomo,Tanaka yoshimitsu,---etc,.

The Gunto-exhibition was opening in December 1944.

As you know, The name-list of this Gunto-exhibition appeard on [Nihonto oyobi Nihonshumi] 1945,#1.

Unfortunately, Oshigatas were not appeard in this issue.

post-191-14196778722965_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Moriyama san and Morita san...

thank you both for your help with our Taisho-Showa Jidai gendaitosho questions...your answers and references and oshigatas are very helpful to us WWII gendaito collectors. With your help the knowledge of these tosho is slowly growing in the west. We thank you.

Regards,

George.

• 11 years later...
On 4/9/2010 at 8:33 AM, Nobody said:

According to the document below, his (real) personal name was Jinsaku (甚作).

Thank you for posting the characters for his first name.  I was having a hard time deciphering the first character in his given name and thought it could be 葚.  Upon closer examination, it is indeed 甚.

His full name is 井上・甚作 Inoue Jinsaku and his address in 1937 was 天田郡西中筋村石原八八 [Amata-gun Nishinakasuji-mura Ishihara 88].  He had two apprentices and could produce five swords per month.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..