N00b with a katana help

zeugmax

i did notice the thin hamon across the bottom of the blade, but the only ones i'd seen were the wavy kind you see in pictures that depict hamon, so i wasn't sure if that was anything. it's neat to see that it is.

I picked up some mineral oil that i will use tonight on the blade. hopefully it'll lift out the vegetable oil. Otherwise i might stick the whole thing in the deep fryer.

That was a joke. I really am not going to do that.

:)

.......... I don't expect to find your sword has a great blade, but they sometimes have reasonable quality blades. It was after all a period when there were tens of thousands of blades on the market, the only real demand being the tourist industry.

Ian Bottomley

Greetings,

Apologies for this late comment to an earlier post, but I think we have a bingo. Observation of the exaggerated saki sori (newly posted images), along with the shape of the nakago both suggest that Mr. Bottomley is going to be very close with his call above.

Otherwise i might stick the whole thing in the deep fryer.

That was a joke. I really am not going to do that.

:)

I almost thought you were Scottish until I saw the humour. :D

Good luck with the blade and its identification.

Stephen et al will steer you in the right direction.

really there's not much more to tell, pix did not show if the hamon stays that way, I don't see any funbari , so it could be Shinshinto....tell the truth it needs to be seen in hand. You can try one last shot like this to see if you can show any other hamon shape.

anyone else have anything to add other than its just mass produced?

post-21-14196778590517_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..