Rikugun Jumei Tosho: Yasumoto Norimitsu

Thank you so much. WOuld you be comfortable sharing a scan of the book you reference?

I am trying to find him all over the place, but with little luck. I found he is the father and sensei of modern swordsmith Yasumoto Akira (Go: Masamitsu) . If google is translating correctly, he is the brother of Rikugun Jumei Tosho swordsmith Yasumoto Yoshimitsu - and perhaps trained him? (http://www.heiseimeitokai.com/sell/sell_47.html)

If anyone else is able to provide more, I would be very appreciative.

Hi Sword Guy Joe,

I found a little extra information to add to Morita san's answer... but there is not much info on him.

First, he is listed in Hawley 1981 as NOR 513 in Iwate Prefecture, 1940. Signed Oshu Gosho Ju Norimitsu Saku Kore.

In Ono GTKSS 1971 p.68 he is given a brief mention as part of the Iwate Yasumoto swordsmith family line as follows:

Yasumoto Noriharu, b.Mei 37, signed Oshu Gosho ju Minamoto Yoshimitsu. He was RJT and studied under his father? Yasumoto Kinzo (or Kanemasa?) and also swordsmiths Yoshihara Kuniiye, shodai Kato Sukekuni, Miyairi Akihira (all very good)..

This Yoshimitsu had a younger brother Yasumoto Norimitsu (Morita san says personal name was Norisada) (this is your guy), no other info.

Your Norimitsu had a son Yasumoto Tadashi who worked post-war and signed Gensho. He studied from his father Norimitsu and his uncle Yoshimitsu and was chosen in the first Shinsakumeito Exhibition.

That's about all I found...mention of his grandfather, brother and his son, but almost nothing on him...sorry.

Regards,

George.

• 1 year later...

All,

I finally have some updated photo's of the polish on my Norimitsu. See attached. This is one of the most impressive blades I have ever seen (selfishly motivated by the fact that it is mine). I think the sashikomi is well executed and looks very good. Shows beautiful activity through the hamon and flowing into the boshi.

Also as a point of reference, the blade is big and beefy resembling the sugata of a Ichihara Nagamitsu blade that I have. What do you think?

post-1404-14196816612479_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196816617043_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196816621442_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196816625831_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196816628993_thumb.jpg

post-1404-14196816633903_thumb.jpg

Nice looking blade....

Notice how the strong ashi at the base of the blade become indistinct to nonexistent above the monouchi? This results from uneven heating with the tip end hotter than the base.

Something to keep in mind when evaluating a blade...

Nice looking blade....

Notice how the strong ashi at the base of the blade become indistinct to nonexistent above the monouchi? This results from uneven heating with the tip end hotter than the base.

Something to keep in mind when evaluating a blade...

That would imply a lack of control by the smith during yaki ire, but... :idea: I was thinking, it could actually be beneficial to the toughnes of the sword. A harder ,but less flexible edge in the monouchi, and a softer more flexible edge toward the machi. Seems like it could make sense in theory.

It would be giving the smith too much credit to say he was thinking that far ahead from one sword, but if that was a characteristic that was consistent in a smiths work, you might think it was made that way for a reason. I'm not suggesting that's the case here... I'm just thinking out loud :)

Hi Joe,

The sword looks nice and with an interesting personal dedication inscription too...I really like such WWII historic details...I'm glad to see you polished in the original sashikomi too.

I must say, all but one of my WWII gendaito are polished in WWII sashikomi, and I like it, but as Chris Bowen has said a number of times, the WWII polish was done more hurriedly and is not as "revealing" of the true characteristics of the blade as modern polish. Your modern sashikomi polish sure seems to show much more hada activity etc than my WWII polishes for sure...so this backs up what Chris says.

What are the mounts?

regards,

The shinogi ji and mune are burnished. They can be burnished to different levels of finish. Some people prefer a lighter burnish because it makes it easier to study the qualities of the steel. Some people think a heavier burnish to more of a mirror finish looks better. It's more of a matter of preference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..