Help on _Uji?

Hello all!

This forum has a wealth of information, and I've been a long time lurker (unregistered). Learned a lot.

Now, it looks like I need to reach out for assistance. I've recently purchased a sword (currently en-route), and am in the process of researching it. I'm stuck on the mei, as simple as this one is. _ Uji (氏) is all I have. Help, please?

sword7.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Tsugio, welcome to NMB. The kanji is "Kane", so Kaneuji in full. The way it is rendered is a bit clumsy and because it is so large in size on the nakago makes me a bit suspicious. The shape and work in the blade should therefore be examined carefully. Maybe an arsenal/factory blade(?). If there are any other markings or inscriptions, they might help narrow down an identity, period, and/or origin.

Thanks Ted!

I'm actually glad you answered this one. I was going to take it to Mike Christianson when it got in to get his thoughts on it. Since you two were so close, I think your opinion and his may be similar.

I had thought Kaneuji at first, but decided otherwise since it looked odd compared to the few other Kaneuji examples I saw. I had asked if there were any other markings on the nakago, and the seller said that they hadn't seen any...but I don't know for certain. Won't until it gets here.

These are the only other shots I have of it that would be of any use. Unfortunately, they don't answer too many questions.

sword8.jpg

sword5.jpg

sword1.jpg

As to Kaneuji, is it safe to assume that this is 100% gimei? From Ted's post and the few examples of niji-mei Kaneuji that I've been able to find, this seems the case.

I think Ted was wisely suggesting your sword need some more research amongst the more "modern" smiths and that it's not by THE Kaneuji, thing that I suppose you already were aware of. :)

I think Ted was wisely suggesting your sword need some more research amongst the more "modern" smiths and that it's not by THE Kaneuji, thing that I suppose you already were aware of. :)

WELL aware. The only time when that particular Kaneuji came into conversation was during healthy fun. ...Don't I wish, though. :lol: I do not think that this sword is terribly old.

Aside from Rich Stein's pages, I can't seem to find any modern-ish Kaneuji that signed niji-mei. Are there any good examples aside from Kaneuji I and the Showa Kaneuji who signed in niji-mei?

By the way it is signed, I'd say spending any more time looking for Kaneuji is pointless.

Stick to identifying the traits of the sword and take it from there.

The mei is fake and just a red herring, in my opinion.

Good advice. Thanks!

When the sword gets here, I'll post up some better pictures of the blade and activities.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Showa period Kane Uji who signed nijimei on page 74 of John Sloughs Book. John points to the way the signature is written as possibly done by Kanezane. John also says he made Showato. Now here's the thing, maybe this smith was illiterate and had othes sign for him. Amahide either had his son, Kanemune or Ido Hidetoshi sign for him. Next point, does this sword have an arsenal stamp? If it doesn't, that doesn't mean its not a Showa to. However, I think this sword may need further research to see if its hand made. In Japanese swords there are always exceptions. Some very good Gendaito were made during the war by "Hobby," smiths. Some Gendaito were made by Smiths who were predominantly makers of Showa to.

Welcome aboard Tsugio.

There is a Showa period Kane Uji who signed nijimei on page 74 of John Sloughs Book. John points to the way the signature is written as possibly done by Kanezane. John also says he made Showato. Now here's the thing, maybe this smith was illiterate and had othes sign for him. Amahide either had his son, Kanemune or Ido Hidetoshi sign for him. Next point, does this sword have an arsenal stamp? If it doesn't, that doesn't mean its not a Showa to. However, I think this sword may need further research to see if its hand made. In Japanese swords there are always exceptions. Some very good Gendaito were made during the war by "Hobby," smiths. Some Gendaito were made by Smiths who were predominantly makers of Showa to.

Welcome aboard Tsugio.

Thanks David!

While there are no arsenal stamps, there is also no hada that my eyes can pick up here in the afternoon sun. The hamon, however, is definitely there and bright. Seems to be choji, transitioning to gunome in the monouchi. The hamon stops (looks intentional) just shy of the hamachi.

There is potential that this is a showato, though, as its appearance does make me lean towards an oil quench now that I've looked at it for a little while.

I'll try to take some pics here in the studio at work.

Tsugio

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..