Help!!! Moving to Singapore

I have been posted to Singapore and the moving company tell me the government only allows four swords per family as ornamentation...they should be blunt.

I have twenty some are a little blunt although im not sure that the Sing government would consider them that way!

Does anyone know if there;s a Japanese sword society in Singapore or any other avenue that I might take?

They're also giving me issues with the my, only just restored, 1958 Triumph motorcycle! Whats happening with the world?

John B

Singapore is quite strict when it comes to engine emissions due to its small size so the bike could well be a problem.

They also have some expensive rules regarding the taxation value of old vehicles, I believe.

If I were you, I'd stick to the metro over there. Much cheaper and very efficient. Taxis, on the other hand... :roll:

Can't help with the swords unless you fancy sending them to HK and occasionally coming over to visit them... ;)

John, your dire situation brings to mind a possible solution .... at least i like it.

i would be happy to store your twenty something "Singapore Banned" swords in my safe house out here in Johnson Valley, CA ---- the High Mojave Desert. :clap:

no humidity to speak of and i would inspect and oil [if needed -- your schedule] them regularly. :D

no charge! :glee:

you could even ask Rich Turner to come down and inspect their housing, as he will be in SF for the Token Kai in August. only 400 mi. south to my place :rotfl:

what do ya think? :laughabove:

doug e

We have a board member from Singapore and I hope he sees this thread, although he hasn't posted in a while. He attended the NMB party in Tokyo 2008. He is a collector and there might be a condition that allows more for collectors, fingers crossed. When I was in Singapore there were Harley's tooting around, no problem in 1997 when last there. There were also a lot of luxury cars that have high emissions, but, the financial burden of the tax wouldn't bother them. One of my favourite places. John

Guys! so nice of you all to offer storage for the swords!!!! Who to pick? The bike is going back to Sydney in storage. But I'm perservering with the swords.

My wife suggested that perhaps the reason the collector from Singapore hasn't posted for a while is that he's in jail due to an illegal sword collection :lol:

I have a knife collecting friend from Singapore. I'll drop him a line and see if he has any info.

Singapore tends to have very strict rules and laws. If they tell you something is not allowed, you can pretty much bet it isn't and there are no ways round it.

Unless you fancy being caned or hung.

As for the storage option, you do know how close HK is to Singapore, yes? ;)

Guys! I'm overwhelmed with the offers of storage, however, some progress. The Sinapore police, firearms and explosives department have been very helpful. It seems that I should email them with photographs, catalogue the swords and then apply for an import licence. So I will be asking for help on the swords I'm none to sure of. Keep your eye out to see what you won't be storing on my behalf :phew: . Nothing terribly exciting I'm afraid. My passion is digging around old shops in asia so most of what I turn up is in a sorry state, nice to save them though. (there have been one or two excellent finds though).

Hi John,

I reside in Singapore, I have had no issues with importing nihonto, you just need to get an import license to bring them in. The blunt condition does not apply to antiques or swords which are used in martial arts practices. Have to rush out for an appointment, I'll be more than happy to provide you with details when i get back.

Regards,

I received this reply from my friend.

Technically swords are prohibited, but that simply means you need to get a permit for those via the Arms & Explosives department, and thereafter they need to be kept under lock and key. They do have discretion in issuing the permits, not everyone gets them. once your colleague does this, a file will be kept on record, which means the police have eyes on him. yes there are nihonto collectors....depending on who the applicant is, there is no guaranteed "yes" at the end of the tunnel but locals have it harder, 'gwei lo' sometimes get it easier, but not always. Best way is to write in to Arms & Explosives department (check under http://www.spf.gov.sg) to apply for a permit. they will still want to interview your friend before issuing the permit, if they so decide to. there'll definitely be tax (GST of 7%) and import permit fees applicable, not to mention form-filling.

note that tax is levied on anything more than $400, which means your colleague will have to pay a lot of tax on his nihontos.

I must advise also that the climate and humidity here do not bode well for nihonto, without extra care. I had 2 swords rust badly during a period of time when it was raining almost daily, and I forgot to check and re-oil. (I don't live in an air-conditioned flat, plus it's near the sea).

ps: if your colleague does bring in his nihonto, could I have a look at his collection? I've not seen many nihonto in person in my lifetime, just a couple.

well John, :?:

your way is clear. as Lee Bray notes above: "I must advise also that the climate and humidity here do not bode well for nihonto, without extra care. I had 2 swords rust badly during a period of time when it was raining almost daily, and I forgot to check and re-oil. (I don't live in an air-conditioned flat, plus it's near the sea."

after that testimony my dry High Mojave Desert free storage offer, with prescribed periodic care of swords :clap: , must look pretty good. :D

think it over. :roll:

doug e

It's the tax that scares me! Frankly, this collections has been in Indonesia for the last 5 years, high humidity and no air con...and absolutely no issue with rust whatsoever in fact they seem to fare better here than they did in Sydney. So thanks for the offers guys...but i'd miss them terribly.

Hi John,

Lee's reply pretty much sums it up, I've had no problems with importing nihonto, I just needed to show that the swords were antiques, i.e more than 100 years old. My swords have papers from nbthk and nthk.

You should write to the Arms and Explosives as suggested by Lee's friend, let them know that you are importing antique swords and get their approval to import them in.

Feel free to pm me if you need more info!

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..