Papers for mumei blade?

RobertM

Hi all,

I purchased this mumei tanto a few years ago, i really like it and was wondering if it was worth getting it papered at the next UK Shina (sorry to hear the sad news that it wont be this year) Are there any benefits to papering a mumei blade? Sorry for the amature question. Apart from the fact that the blade is probably late shinshinto i dont really know much more about it.

thanks

Robert M

post-145-14196776551823_thumb.jpg

post-145-14196776554815_thumb.jpg

post-145-14196776560336_thumb.jpg

Never listen to Uncle Stephen siren voice. Sell it to me, it will rest on cushions surrounded by perfumes waiting for shinsa :lipssealed: :badgrin:

No kidding, excellent one and worth shinsa 100% (though I must confess I am not a great admirer of the Nakago form.)

Are there any benefits to papering a mumei blade?

Hello,

Possibilities; 1) if the work is distinguished enough the shinsa team may feel confident enough to name the sword smith that they believe made the sword. 2) even if a sword smith is not named, the time period, tradition, and school will be given. 3) sometimes the result in a shinsa turns out to be disappointing news, for example: the sword that was thought to be traditionally made is not in the opinion of the shinsa team.

Whatever the case may turn out to be, the sword's owner now has information from which to base further study upon. Often the collector simply accepts or dismisses the result without further thought given to (edit) researching why and how the shinsa team reached their conclusions, and the collector misses out on possibly learning anything more about their sword.

(edit) Ooooops, almost left out that papering, especially a mumei blade, depending on the result, helps when it comes for that next owner thing.

Franco is right don't ask questions of shinsa if you don't get back what you want to hear. I have known of mistakes of shinsa teams as well in calling a koto blade gendaito...so its good to have many opinions not just one. Yes papers are for the next owner.....ME?

I agree with Jean its lovely and the nakago does hold one back ....I can over look that when it gets to my home as I'm looking for a tanto to complete my collection....it will be well loved and take care of.... you'll lose no sleep.....I'm sure you would if Jean gets his french food greasy fingers on the saya. LOL just kidding Mod Jean

• 1 month later...

Robert, I recently purchased a papered mumei wakizashi, and as I am relatively new to this and have not had much hands on experience with swords, having an identified sword in my hand while I research the school, era and maker was a grand learning experience, a first hand one. :glee:

Colin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..