Translation help

Stephen

Hi,

I have just finished my breakfast!

Shinbu husatsu (神武不殺): Excellent Budo does not kill people.

Takayama-to (高山刀): swords made at Takayama Forge (I heard they had unique features.)

Ujinaga saku (氏命作): Ujinaga made

Hi Moriyama san...

I was thinking a martial art for the first two Kanji,,,, Aikido style........ but then they also represent or can refer to first emperor... right?.... This is not in argument with what you say but just education for me...

Thanks for your translation

Cheers

Nigel

This has been a great help to me but like all answers it has led to more questions. If this blade was made during WWII, why would it be in a converted civilian saya? If the blade is oil quenched stainless, why would the koshira be civilian and not kyu-gunto? Why is the tsuka stepped down not straight? Is there ever any definite answers? Scott Enloe

I was thinking a martial art for the first two Kanji,,,, Aikido style........ but then they also represent or can refer to first emperor... right?.... This is not in argument with what you say but just education for me...

Hi sencho san,

I made a brief seartch and found a simple explanation of "Shinbu Fusatsu" on the site below. Please read the 3rd paragraph.

http://www.classicalbudomalta.org.mt/jiujutsu.html

http://www.heartaikido.com/terms.html

And I also found its connotation about the 1st Emperor Jinmu as you say. It is based upon a tradition that the Emperor Jinmu conqured from Kyushu to Kinki region without staining his sword with blood.

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/applemint/2005-12-28

Thank you Mr. Moriyama, I have been wondering about this for years. I have not yet determined the monetary value of this sword but it has great sentimental value because it was a gift from an older friend that taught me a great deal about hard work and self reliance. Because I was so young when it was given to me, I did some things that have damaged the appearance of the piece, although the steel itself is incredibly hard and tough. I have not found anything on-line about Takayama prison forge other than a passing reference on another mei. Does anyone out there know if this was a shrine like Yasukuni or a prison like the Emura-made blades?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..