sukemitsu

sencho

bishu osafune sukemitsu saku

I have referenced this mei with the only thing I have.... jssus online.. can't come up with a match there apart from SUK 729 (Koto, Bizen no kuni (Koji:1555)SUK729 TTp340) which seems close.... time frame is correct too as the nakano is dated 1573

Does anyone have any other references and possible oshigata?

post-7-14196735061854_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stephen and Mark....

Mark I am having difficulty with the "suke" part of the kanji..... to me it doesn't look like it..... the was told to me by Moses Becerra (far be it from me to argue with big Mo!!) however "nori" doesn't seem to fit the bill either.... I have just been examining the mei again.

Steven, the second oshigata shows strokes that are very similar to the mei (as far as I can see anyway)

I scanned the bloody thing too.... here is a pic...

post-7-14196735066517_thumb.jpg

Mo may have not taken his time it can look like the other Suke not the one you posted. look in Samurai Sword Hand book by J. Yumoto...page 120 the nori that is rule not law. sorry i dont have kanji on my PC. Mo may have did a quick look ant thought it was the second Suke down on page 123 of SSHandbook. heres a fujishiro Nagamitsu which looks like the mei in question.

i keep this up ill have the whole book on file.

post-21-14196735067968_thumb.jpg

Thanks Stephen..... and Milt

...I guess..... hey is that mei on the wrond side of the Nakano?... Tachi?

I am showing many Bizen Norimitsu's.... time wise going by the date I have Norimitsu's in Bunmei and Eisho (too old probably) and Tenbun, Eiroku and Tensho..... kanji is the...

..... nori in the Tenbun and Eiroku however and the Tensho smith has a different mei recorded.....

so in conclusion I am not getting very far.... the oshigata you post is the closest I can see.....

Also this mei was listed as a Sukemitsu too....

post-7-1419673507046_thumb.jpg

On JSSUS the time is listed for most smiths in brackets.... does this mean birth, death or what??? Some of these periods are only 3 or 4 years long so I cannot imaging it represents work.... maybe when started work...???

Can anyone tell me?

Cheers

Hi, I have always taken this way of placing a smith in the timeline, when there is no birth or death date as meaning that there are examples that have been dated to a particular era, the Eikyu or Geno eras for example, to give a sense of when they were in production and to extrapolate from that. John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..