Chicago vs. Minneapolis Poll

What is the general train of thought out there on these two upcoming shows ?

The Chicago show is the annual Token Kai with shinsa.

The Minneapolis show is a new concept featuring varying facets of Japanese Arts and Artisans co-mingling with the general public for the introduction and appreciation of our hobby as well as others. It will also feature a shinsa.

What do you guys think of the latter of the two vs the traditional show ? Why?

Which will you attend ? Why ?

Even if unable to attend which would you prefer ? Why ?

Which shinsa group do you prefer ? Why ?

I know, Why, Why, Why.

Why not.

Hi Ed, If I was wealthy I would attend them all. Having no money, if I could attend only one, given that they had equivalent stature, I would choose the Minneapolis show. This is because I have interest in the other aspects of Japanese art and culture and would appreciate the other exhibits and presentations. However if there was too much crammed into to small a venue and too short of a time, it would be frustrating. A show that had a lot to see/experience would have to be say, an one week exposition. John

I'll be setting up with beginner books at the Minn. show. Which is most of what I do with gun shows here in Des Moines and that is to introduce Nihonto. You'll find most of the movers and shakers at Chicago and ill try to make it if I have my koto blade back from polish and NBTHK shinsa.

I did one show with Larry and Chris a few years back and I have to say its much more relaxed much like the ol San Antonio show which I wish would start back up even if bi annually, Chicago is all the Old Guard who sometimes can come across a bit aloft until you get to know them, and have bought off them.

Papers id stay with NBTHK it seems to get more bang for your buck. If you just want to know if the mei is good or what you have if mumei...do them all and see if who, what, when, all come out the same. A few years ago when I made the circuit I always got a kick of taking a unknown sword around to each table to see what the thought was to W,W,W. Usually ten tables ten different opinions. Kind like the Movie Let it Ride with Richard Dryfuss question" which horse do you like?" get a answer mark it off the program and bet on the one left that did not get picked.

Sorry not all the Why's answered but I got off on a ramble. One other thing Andy Q is worth your admission to the Chris and Larry show but then he'll be in Chi town too I suppose.

I normally do the Tampa and SF shows, but never seem to make Chicago. I was thinking of doing the one in MN, seems like it may be different. Maybe some new blood, new stuff to see. Like you John, I like many different areas of Japanese Art.

I prefer and always submit to the NBTHK.

My shinsa question was aimed more at the two branches of the NTHK. One group will be in IL., the other in MN. I know Gordon and have dealt with that group. I have never dealt with the group scheduled to be in MN and was curious as to whether or not anyone had any personal experience with them and what their feelings were in regards to them. I noticed the shinsa fees in Mn are almost double the ones in IL.

PS: Stephen, I have been meaning to thank you for the recent plugs. If I can ever help you, please do not hesitate to ask.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add a bit to this discussion in an effort to help people understand a bit more clearly exactly what the event in Minneapolis is all about....

We are hoping to provide an event rich in educational content that will help increase the understanding of the Japanese sword by placing it in its cultural context. Also, we hope that by offering a few lectures on topics like traditional Japanese steel making, how to appreciate a polish, etc., that people will go home with added knowledge and more than just memories of another show that blurs into all those other shows they have attended.

Also, we are indeed reaching out to people in other hobbies and areas of interest which are tangentially related. Pottery, calligraphy, bonsai, kimono, Japanese antiques, etc., will all be represented. We feel that this is a good way to get new people, fresh blood, etc., into the hobby. Rest assured, there will be many familiar faces and old hands, but there will also be many new faces and opportunities to cross-pollinate...Many people I have heard from are a bit tired of the same old sword show where the same group of people show up, sit around, and bs amongst themselves. I can't tell you how many times I have heard recently, "we need new blood!", and "this hobby is dying"...Well, we are trying something new...by the response we have gotten so far, it would seem that it is a step in the right direction. We would encourage all with a stake in the future of this hobby to attend...We appreciate the support.

As to the shinsa, I can only say this about the NTHK-NPO group coming to Minneapolis: they are the most experienced shinsa team outside of the NBTHK. Last I heard, they are getting 100+ swords per month for shinsa in Japan, which is again, second only to the NBTHK. The fee is $100 higher, not double (for items that pass). This is a result of costs on our end. I would add that this is still much less than sending a sword to Japan for shinsa, and I believe, based on the team's experience and expertise, it is a good value. You do get what you pay for...Talk to people who have submitted to the recent Yoshikawa NTHK shinsas and ask them their impressions/recommendation. If you talk to enough of them, I think they will answer this question for you....

Anyone with any questions, please feel free to contact either myself at swords@ejapaneseswords.com or Larry Klahn at lklahn@aol.com

Thank you for your interest....

...for what it is worth....

I am a member of the NTHK - NPO and attend their monthly sword meeting here in Tokyo as often as possible. (I think the next is this Saturday). I think the core of the group are a friendly bunch of people who are very down to earth and easy to get a long with as well as being very helpful and encouraging. Throught them I have had the pleasure to see countless gems with respect to swords (a meito or 2), fittings (endless supply of quality iron pieces and Goto galour), koshirae and other odds and ends that have cropped up.

I have also attend their shinsa on a number of occasions as an interested observer and can vouch that there is what can only be referred to as a stack of swords that the team thoroughly evaluates. Japanese sword collectors and dealers seem to chose them for their papers which suggests that they are held in high regard over here a least.

As far as fresh blood..... I have been to the Dai Token Ichi a few times and listened to the same group of experts giving each other sage bits of advice and find them quite hard to talk to and break in to the cliche. The notion of giving a full mix of Japanese culture to promote the understanding of swords is a fantastic idea as it can lead to whole new world of interest opening up before your very eyes. :shock:

I wish that I could attend as it would be nice to be able to bring along the other half. My wife loves and collectors Japanese porcleain, does flower arranging and is at the minute learning kimono. She hated calligraphy at school but would love a chance to try it again as her mother was quite good. I am very intertesed in swords, tsuba and ukiyoe, have a few bonsai that I would like to learn more on how to look after. We both have had a go at Japanese pottery and are going to Bizen soon to have a try at it.

With out any hesitation I would defiently go to Minneapolis and try to broaden my horizons to try and get to the origin of my fascination with Japanese swords and fittings.

Good luck Chris and Larry. I hope some day you can bring the show to Japan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..