Three fuchi

b.hennick

Well Barry, ... If the third Fuchi posted pictures an " owl ", ... which I take it to be, ... it is certainly a rarity. Of all birds of Japan the owl is considered most unlucky, ... and an omen of death. It is my understanding that if portrayed at all it is usually shown with eyes closed or more often with it's back towards the viewer. The above information courtesy of " Japanese Animal Art " ... auithor Lea Baten.

Nice find, .... Ron Watson

Hi Barry, The first two are the best with the seconds use of katakiri bori/ kebori and takabori reminding me of the Hamano school work. It out shines the other two really, in my opinion anyway. I am at a loss for the school on the first, the work isn't unique enough, although it is fairly good. The third is 平凡陳腐 and the least impressive. I really like that second one; too bad no kashira to match. John

Hi John:

I liked the second one the best as well. I originally traded a tsuba for the first two. Not having seen an owl in Japanese metal work before I thought it interesting enough to get that one as well.

I am far from well learned in fittings but the Hamaon work I have seen seems to be rounder with less detail. The face has good detail. The carving seems good to me.

Not that I would consider myself a very knowledgable judge of fittings but the quality of the second one is excellent to my humble eye. I would have loved to have seen the complete set of mounts to which this belonged. I am still amazed at the level of skill these Japanese craftsman possessed.

Tim S

I prefer the work of the second piece by far.

The third piece reminds me of modern work done by Bartoz from Poland. Not sure if he's a member here but he makes kodugu and is fond of the owl theme.

The rendition of the work seems very similar, too.

Not saying it is his work, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..