Sageo Diagrm

A lovely old bloke I know has a tachi koshirae with a rotting "big knot". He would like to have diagrams for tying a new knot, and also to know where he could buy the appropriate braid in Japan. Can anyone assist, please???

Regards,

BaZZa.

A lovely old bloke I know has a tachi koshirae with a rotting "big knot". He would like to have diagrams for tying a new knot, and also to know where he could buy the appropriate braid in Japan. Can anyone assist, please???

Regards,

BaZZa.

A friend of mine just had his "big knot" restored on a tachi by a chap in the UK.

It sounds a lot more complex than a diagram could demonstrate; it seems there are little metal pieces inside the knot to form the shape.

I think this is one of those things that has to be done by those in the know.

Not necessarily because of the 'don't touch nihonto' mentality but because it's just so damned hard to do.

If you want his name, drop me a PM.

it seems there are little metal pieces inside the knot to form the shape.

Metal ?? I would guess paper (ishigami) but not metal ?!

I'll get clarification from the source but I'm 99% certain it was brass and not paper hishigame.

Brass was used in this instance because it is not visible and much cheaper than gold. The visible embellishments are gold.

I understand that on a proper, old grandiose knot, gold was used internally :crazy:. Obviously, that could be a 'samurai tale' - no comment on that.

But this is only my understanding from a conversation and not gospel.

There is a publication put out by the All Japan Swordsmith Association called 'Introduction to Japanese swords through Pictures'. Its available through 'About Japan' on ebay. You can order direct rather than bid at auction. In this publication there are all the ways of tying knots etc and the tying of the Tachio is covered very well. 42 Nice Glossy pics and easy to follow. The knot comes out perfectly. Cost about $40 US. Lots of other good stuff in there as well about lacquer and tsuka ito styles.

I got a copy about a year ago and have since restored the tachio knots on four itomaki no tachi koshirae that were a bit frayed and tatty.

I have seven tachi of various ages and styles. There are no brass bits or even paper bits involved in the big knot on any of them. This is not to say that these bits werent used, just that on a sampling of my own tachi the knots are all formed without internal support.

silver_tachi_daimyo4.jpg

You can see the external 'bits' I'm referring to in this pic, stolen shamelessly from http://Japanese-samurai-swords-koshirae.com/

Not the ashi but the small rectangular pieces.

Here they're shakudo, not gold. This is similar to my friends though his knot is much taller and more flamboyant.

I believe(again, not gospel) the internal pieces give more shape.

Ah..... I see what you were referring to. These pieces are called Nanatsugane. Its part of the koshirae and has nothing to do with the knot itself. The extended ashigawa are held together by these rings Three on the ichi no ashi and four on the ni no ashi. Common obitori on efu no tachi.

There are two types of tachi knots as in the pic The one you seem to need is the simpler one, which is correct for this type of obitori/ashigawa. The knots are however dictated by the length of the tachiO. Longer ones up to 10 feet would require the more complex knot.

post-1773-14196775058622_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..