goinlower's items of interest

Keith,

Once there you can't go back. :rotfl:

tried vegimite --- must be an aquired taste. :crazy:

to go bvack to topic: i am bidding on one of goinlower's items, i doubt that i will get it .... but what are some ways to ascertain a seller's honesty -- not so much on e-bay, but private sites [or even on NMB]

i will hum gilligan's island while awaiitng respnses

thank you [and you brian for the nudge]

doug e

Doug.

I can of course only speak from my own experiences with sellers, and others on NMB may have different experiences to mine. Generally I work on the principle that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Genuine sellers are only too happy to supply photographs and details if you ask. Most dont make outlandish claims of their items and for the most part they are knowledgeable. Most of all they are easy to deal with and usually very helpful. Established dealers are generally jealous of their reputations since they deal in a fairly closed community that has easy access to each other through clubs forums and the like. A bad experience by a buyer is usually shared with others and a reputation goes down the drain fairly rapidly... a lot more rapidly than the process of building a reputation for honesty.

Ebay is different because there are sellers on ebay that are plainly less than knowledgeable and in some cases, profoundly less than honest. Strange as it may sound, I have found that the more innappropriate and frivolous the trading name chosen by ebay sellers, the less likely they are to be reliable. lets face it there are some very funny trading names on ebay. I stay clear of them on principle. The feed back points give some indication of their past dealings and the experiences of other buyers. I always look at their other items where possible to see how well they describe them and what sort of language they use in their claims. If that little alarm goes off in my head that says there is doubt, I dont deal.

I have only had very few (in fact only two) bad buying experiences in the last five years, thankfully neither was very expensive. Having said all that, you can never 'know' a person to be honest until you have dealt with them. Its a risk we all run each time we make a purchase.

You can now stop humming the theme from Gilligans Island :D

thank you Keith,

you summariezed much of what i have been told by others, and i guess knew myself instinctively. as always "cavet emptor"

i will now go somewhere else to buy a set of [reasonably priced ?] menuki for my wife's b'day coming in 2 months. she loves the furniture, but only tolerates my sword interest because they go on the swords.

have a great day

doug e

Keith,

to go bvack to topic: i am bidding on one of goinlower's items, i doubt that i will get it .... but what are some ways to ascertain a seller's honesty -- not so much on e-bay, but private sites [or even on NMB]

i will hum gilligan's island while awaiitng respnses

Dear All, I have just successfully bid on Todd's (goinlower) Japanese Mint Priming Flask. It didn't turn out to be a lot of money as these things go, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing it "in the hand". I've seen very few flasks for teppo, and even then they had been brought from Japan by a local dealer. Todd's looked interesting as it appeared to be complete with stopper, ojime and cordage. I'll report back, not that I know much about matchlock accoutrements.

Regards,

BaZZa.

SUPER baZZa, :clap:

looking forward to your evaluation and critical appraisal once flask is in your hands.

some of Todd's stuff looks nice, interesting ---others, like the tsuba, i just can't get excited over.

i missed by one dollar getting the flower menuki. i guess i was asleep when closing time came. oh well, i have my eye on other stuff. his grandfather sure collected an odd assortment of Japanese "stuff"

again, congrats!!! :clap:

doug e

Morning Stephen,

so he is going to release the stuff from granpa's attic treasure chest slowing ... must not be in any hurry to liquidate the estate, or maybe that is the way to get top dollar. smart or no?

i just want to see everything, now!

the carving on these newest peonies seems dull, not well defined, and even off in some places. the metal looks flat to me. so not late Edo, but Showa, or maybe [as a friend suggested] gunto!

i am going to pass. wife very particular about quality .... except, possibly, in husbands.

doug e

Well other than hope springs eternal - maybe something great - oh well :roll:

Wonder if he has done the same thing on any other boards to stir up some interest - nothing wrong I guess as long as there are no misrepresentations - buyers beware - always !!

If you look at the how the items are being described you will see that he is not wording the items in the way that someone who was...working it...would have....the artillery sword he listed did not even have the word...Japanese.... in the description...he mentions vintage over and over and not...antique...anyone here knows that at experienced seller of Japanese antiques would mention the word ..Japan or Japanese and ..antique in their description....and he is not researching the proper names of the items, and the pictures are not what an experienced seller of antiques would use to get the best price. He seems to be someone who is over his head and not experienced in this field. I purchased the item which looked like a hitai-ate on ebay from him, I guess I will find out!

Well your right, im not into Japanese items and wanna get rid of things for my grandmother. i have a TON of swords i have to sell but dont think i will put them on ebay at all. The things im selling now are little things he has in his draw or wall pieces. I have over 30 swords that are marked 70 points plus which i guess is really good. Alot of the swords are signed and have alot of gold around the handles and blades. One sword matching set had a price tag from 1989 that he paid 35 thousand for and had a document from Japan allowing the sword to enter the us in 1948,, items like this will go to auction houses...

Hi Todd aka goinlower6969 (posting was unsigned),

i thought that might be your situation. i guess i would like to see more stuff at one time, but you ain't running a store so it takes time to make photos, post, etc. i would love to see any Japanese prints, even if just copies; old Japanese copies of woodblock prints would still be great [an original Hiroshige would be beyond my $$ means.

i tryed to get some of the menuki, and the chop sticks, but they rapidly went beyond the limit my wife gave me to spend. i guess i am not very adept in this on-lie action thing. more used to seeing a set price and saying yes or no

you probably already got this advise, but anyway... take the swords to the main sword club in New York City. they, i am sure,would be pleased to evaluate them FAIRLY, and thrilled to see such a goup of swords they have not seen before. IMHO a sword store, antique shop, etc, could not be trusted to give you a fair evaluation; they have their own agenda, and while they may not be trying to rip you off, they would, as businessmen, try to under value them so they might get them.

i am sure you have been told this, or being a bright gaijin, figured it out yourself.

waiting for more stuff.

doug e

Hi, im trying to think if he had any paintings at all or prints,,, not sure,, i am going to my grams again tomorrow to grab some more items..i will take a look and see what she has on the walls,, im sure there is alot i have over looked.. i never pictured myself removing my grandfathers items.. but i guess its something i gotta do...i will have more thngs on ebay this week and if i get anything large i will post pics on here for NMB people..thanks again,..Todd

Yeah i did contact christies, i wanted to drive to nyc and have them look at them and go from there,, but there more of a hassele as well. They want me to take pics of each one and describe each one with a letter from my grams saying i can sell them then after they review the pics they said they will want detailed pics,, im not gonna go threw all that,, i wld be willing to take a day off of work and drive to nyc but not going to sit here and send pics back and forth then have to drive to nyc after they accept them...i dont have time for all this,, in the meantime of doing all this im getting married in sept and my fiance is trying to get wedding thngs ready and im sure you married guys know how that goes... ..todd

Todd,

The trouble with a large auction house like Christie's is that they don't want to bother much with anything other than very high value items. If they were to let you drive down to NYC with 200 swords, they'd end up spending a day with you, giving you appraisals, and maybe getting to sell a few high end items. Anything else (lower value) they will shunt over to a secondary auction, not advertised very well, and not likely to bring you a good price. They will also take a significant bite out of anything they sell for you regardless of how well or poorly it sells. They would rather you get the appraisals from someone else first and then bring them to you so they can cherry pick the best of the lot. At least that's my understanding of how it would work; correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want a fair price for what you have you need to find an honest and knowledgeable person who...... Never mind; I told you that twice already.

Grey

Congradulations Todd!! hope she's the one,for as a wise-ass sage once said, "marriage is the leading cause of divorce" :rotfl:

what i ment was take the swords to a sword club like, New York Metropolitan Japanese Sword Club. check the Links section above. i think they would give you the most honest appraisal, and if ya make an appointment so they can gather a few of the knowledgeable members, you would not spen too much time.

doug e

Todd

in your rush to sell your spliting up sets.

At least in my eye your are, what do the rest of you think.

first set of fuchi

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Japanese-FUCHI-AL ... 3efc921c8c

two iron kashira's (lot of ppl like iron and as a set may go for more).

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Japanese-KA ... 3efc91fe71

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Japanese-KA ... 3efc920c7e

i think the top right fuchi goes with the shishi dog/lion.

and the far left with fan goes with the two fig fuchi...does anyones else see it like that?

edit to correct links

Stephen:

I think you put one pf the links up twice, but when you go on the additional items for sale area, I think there are or were 3 sets of fuchi-Kashira

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Japanese-FUCHI-AL ... 3efc921c8c

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-VINTAGE-Japanese- ... 3efc921481

In the lower link the one on the right seems to go wth the fuchi on the lower right and the oneon the left seems to have the same lines as the fuchi on the far left! As you said the one with the leaves matches the upper right.

Too bad they are split up - perhaps someone will buy the lot - the price so far is good !

Todd,

If you're selling fuchi & kashira that belong together in 2 separate sales it is the same as selling a pair of shoes in 2 sales. Stop the sales. No one will bid what they're worth unless he can be sure he'll get both halves of a set, which he can't with 2 sales. GET SOME HELP!

Grey

They do that in Japan all the time with sets of armor, they break the set and if you want the complete set you have to buy all the individual pieces, which someone can do here in this case even now, you just have to be willing to bid. Its for a good cause....the money goes to grandma!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..