nthk San Francisco Shinsa

On the bright side there is to be a nihon To-ken Hozon Kai in San Francisco.

Aug. 20trh21st and 22nd, 2010.

San Francisco Airport Marriott Milbrae, California.

Yoshikawa Eiichi, polisher and curator of swords for the Imperioal Household agency...........

will head a team of select appraisers from the NTHK Tokyo home ofice.

Submission $100. certification $150.

email request for registration packet to:

nthk2010@toryu-mon.com

Just received from the Northern Calif. newsletter. :clap:

This should stir things up in the right manner and help us recover some momentum

for the new year.

Happy newyear

Bill delagrange

Heres the announcement we are still putting the finishing touches on the webpage;

The Nihon To-ken Hozon Kai (NTHK) is pleased to announce

The 2010 NTHK San Francisco Shinsa

August 20th, 21st and 22nd, 2010

San Francisco Airport Marriott

Millbrae, California

Yoshikawa Eiichi, polisher and curator of swords for the Imperial Household Agency, curator of swords for the Seikado collection and the shosoin repository, will head a team of select appraisers from the NTHK Tokyo home office

Submissions $100.00

certification $150.00

fittings must be submitted separately

swords with koshirae must be submitted as separate items

Email your request for registration information to;

nthk2010@toryu-mon.com

Note: this is the same location and same weekend as the

ncjsc san francisco to-ken taikai

Hello Barry

No it is the

Burlingame exit that you take

off the freeway.

I guess I can say that. :)

I am only one of the many members of the NCJSC and wanted to be the

first to tell everyone of this.

Did not mean to steal your thunder Toryu and thanks for the work to put

this together.

Best to all for a good 2010.

Bill delagrange

• 1 month later...

Very new so to clarify?

Shinsa submission $100.00 and then if the sword is judged worthy an additional $150.00 for certification?

What is the procedure for getting a sword/s on an airplane (and back home via air?)

Do swords have to be in polish to be submitted? (I don't mean badly rusted just in need or even dire need of polish)

Any other details or recomendations welcome.

Thanks

I fly with swords in my luggage every time I attend a sword show. I usualy put them in a golf bag hard case. I used to use a guncase but everyone wants to look in a gun case. If you do use one then write in large letters "NO FIREARMS".

As for the state of the sword - the better the polish the better the chances of getting a correct result. They have to see a hamon and hada. Unless a mumei blade has major flaws or is saiha (retempered) they will probably issue a paper to someone. There seems to be some catch all smiths or groups that seem to be used as a dumping ground when they are unsure.

I remember one shinsa wih many many Bungo blades - all mumei... :)

As for fittings, ones that people try to restore on their own with little or no experince will probably fail. When you consider that the paper costs $250 the item has to be worth having that amount added to the cost price. It seems to me, that in general, fewer fittings collectors are paper collectors when compared to sword collectors who seem to value papers much more than fittings collectors.

You might bring more blades than you have spots for shinsa. You can then ask people which ones of the gorup should be submitted. People may note an obvious gimei (fake signature) blade or a saiha blade.

In any case my recommendation is to study your sword and try to figure out who made it. Then when you get your results use them as a learning experience. Try to understand what the shinsa team learned that you missed. The lessons learned should be worth the $100 fee.

For folks waiting on the registration packets -

Still working out the set-up of Paypal account and the website, we are getting close. No packets have been sent out yet and no slots reserved as yet. Stay tuned we should have it all up and running soon.

-tom

NTHK2010@toryu-mon.com

• 2 weeks later...

Announcing the 2010 NTHK San Francisco Shinsa - August 20,21 and 22, 2010.

Registration packets are are now being sent out - Please visit the website or email NTHK2010@toryu-mon.com for info.

Heres the webpage; http://tinyurl.com/y8u2pkn

Note: you can also renew your NTHK membership via Paypal on the registration page.

-t

I fly with swords in my luggage every time I attend a sword show. I usualy put them in a golf bag hard case. I used to use a guncase but everyone wants to look in a gun case. If you do use one then write in large letters "NO FIREARMS".

As for the state of the sword - the better the polish the better the chances of getting a correct result. They have to see a hamon and hada. Unless a mumei blade has major flaws or is saiha (retempered) they will probably issue a paper to someone. There seems to be some catch all smiths or groups that seem to be used as a dumping ground when they are unsure.

I remember one shinsa wih many many Bungo blades - all mumei... :)

As for fittings, ones that people try to restore on their own with little or no experince will probably fail. When you consider that the paper costs $250 the item has to be worth having that amount added to the cost price. It seems to me, that in general, fewer fittings collectors are paper collectors when compared to sword collectors who seem to value papers much more than fittings collectors.

You might bring more blades than you have spots for shinsa. You can then ask people which ones of the gorup should be submitted. People may note an obvious gimei (fake signature) blade or a saiha blade.

In any case my recommendation is to study your sword and try to figure out who made it. Then when you get your results use them as a learning experience. Try to understand what the shinsa team learned that you missed. The lessons learned should be worth the $100 fee.

Dont you worry about an airport employee trying to steal it in your luggage, I have transported guns before in a case and I would have assumed that a case would less likely to be rummaged through.

• 3 months later...

Dear All -

We have updated our website with a new FAQ page: http://www.toryu-mon.com/Toryu-Mon/FAQ.html

Please share this with anyone who may be interested. If you are coming to the sword show be sure you request your hotel reservations under the "sword show" rate. Looking forward to seeing all in August...

-t

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those thinking of coming to this years Taikai,

The shinsa slots for Friday are full up, Saturday is going fast - if you are thinking of submitting blades now is the time to get your registrations in.

We have updated the website with a Team Bio page:

http://www.toryu-mon.com/Toryu-Mon/NTHK_Team.html

Please check it out and feel free to ask us any questions,

-t

Justin -

Pre-registration closes tomorrow. You might contact Moses at nihontoantiques.com he was offering a for fee service for some of his customers. Also Bob Benson of Bushido.com was doing the same but he of course is located West of here!

There are still a few slots open for Sat and Sun,

-t

I have not been on this board in a coons age, anyway i just got this email about the nthk San Francisco Shinsa.

"James -

We are sorry pre-registration is closed for this event - If you would like a timeslot please come see us in the shinsa room anytime after 1000 tomorrow and we will help get you in.

-t

Tom Helm "

Hope this helps?

Yes!

Several folks, lucky enough to already be at the hotel, have expressed interest in submitting items. We will be taking registrations from walk-ins but as we have stated Friday is full and your choices for Saturday and Sunday are becoming limited with each new registration.

We will no longer be able to respond to email after this. Come see us in the SHINSA ROOM located on the lobby level of the hotel in their "Bayside meeting room" - anytime after 1000 tomorrow if you want to see about registering for a timeslot. Please remember this is a cash only enterprise and we have to give preference to those who are pre-registered.

Thanks to everyone for their support, looking forward to seeing everybody this weekend!

-t

I envy all of you greatly, i was going to try to attend Shinsa but i had to attend to some family matters I'm afraid :(

I have been studying nihonto for almost a year now and been collecting for about 3 months, now that i have accumulated a few blades i will most likely be attending the shinsa next year as its about a 20 minute car ride from my location versus a 4 hour plane ride to California. I wanted to ask some of the senior members here who have attended shinsa a few times, what is it like? is the attendance in the hundreds or the thousands? Is it like a hectic convention or more of a formally executed event? I am very eager to get introduced to the world of collectors out there as i think i am a bit geographically deprived from the larger community of sword enthusiasts.

Yoroshiku,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..