Shin-gunto real or fake

Geneck

Guest Simon Rowson

It's hard to tell from one (not very close) photo but it seems to me to be a real kai-gunto (naval sword) rather than a shin-gunto (army sword) that has lost it's tsuka ito and menuki. This does happen to old WII swords sometimes but, as to whether it's machine made or not, you'd need to see the nakago (tang).

Regards,

Simon

Guest Simon Rowson

Actually, scrub that last comment.....I was being an idiot!

The tsuba and other mounts are all shin-gunto as you rightly said but it's very unusual to get what appears to be a black (laquered?) saya with two supension mounts. The early type shin-gunto had two such mounts and were usually of a superior quality to later gunto but so do many of the Chinese junk repros you see flooding eBay nowadays so be very careful!

Regards,

Simon

I've added kissaki pic maybe it wil help :D

Actually, scrub that last comment.....I was being an idiot!

The tsuba and other mounts are all shin-gunto as you rightly said but it's very unusual to get what appears to be a black (laquered?) saya with two supension mounts. The early type shin-gunto had two such mounts and were usually of a superior quality to later gunto but so do many of the Chinese junk repros you see flooding eBay nowadays so be very careful!

Regards,

Simon

post-251-1419673491581_thumb.jpg

I will add asap new pics

I don't know guys. This one has me curious. The saya is the navy 95 I think. The blade may have been acid etched but seems a legitimate sword. Do I not see a hamon?I wouldn't condemn this one yet. Maybe the yokote is malformed by camera angle. More pics please. John

Guest Simon Rowson

Now I've seen a picture of the fittings, I'm absolutely sure that it's a Chinese repro. I've seen one of these things up close and the tsuba is identical. Another giveaway is the seppa with the square hole for the saya retaining clip that goes right through to the nakago ana. I've never seen this feature on an original but many times on Chinese fakes.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Simon

Guest Simon Rowson

I'm really sorry Geneck but your latest photo just confirms what I said in my last posting. I've handled and examined hundreds of genuine shin-gunto in 25 years of collecting and I'm afraid that this is definitely one of the modern Chinese replicas.

If it's any consolation, I've also made a great many mistakes myself in those same 25 years of collecting!

Regards,

Simon

Thx very much for your help

I'm really sorry Geneck but your latest photo just confirms what I said in my last posting. I've handled and examined hundreds of genuine shin-gunto in 25 years of collecting and I'm afraid that this is definitely one of the modern Chinese replicas.

If it's any consolation, I've also made a great many mistakes myself in those same 25 years of collecting!

Regards,

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..