WWII Japanese Sword & Nambu Pistol-History update Page 3!!

DaveM4P99

and remember, the length of the sword ---nagasa -- is measured from the munemachi --the notch on the back of the sword by the habaki --- to the tip of the sword [kissaki]. dr. stein's page has excellant diagrams of swords, labled, etc, so you know what to measure [everything --we want everything! :roll:

i apologize if you already know or have been informed of the above. just trying to help somebody who seems to be as in the dark about nihonto as i was not so long ago.

doug e

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...Sorry for the delayed response...I have been busy travelling. On a side note, I will be visiting Tokyo and Okinawa in March...Should be a great time. Any recommendations of things to do/see? Any sword related things I should see? I definitely plan on seeing the WWII sights in Okinawa (bunkers, suicide cliffs etc.) How about good places to eat? I do like sushi a lot.

So a little more info...The blade is approx. 23 inches or around 58-59 centimeters.

The tip appears to be in good shape...no cracks or chips of any kind.

tipblade.jpg

This is the mid section...despite the rust, the blade has no chips whatsoever, and is still very very sharp...it slices through paper towel or thin cotton towels every time I apply mineral oil.

midblade.jpg

HI dave,

sorry if i was a little teachy, and assumed because this was an heirloom sword to you that you did not know the basic Japanese sword terminology. should have at least thought that a smart guy like you [you have to smart because you came to NMB with your questions, right?] could have gone to Dr Stein's Japanese Sword Index and learned the basic terms to use just like i did.

i could not see much in those photos; not focused, and to show the hamon the light has to be at the correct angle. still better than my old koto, which has lots of little chips.

tokyo shushi and osaka sushi are different, i am told. so try both. and cold sake, only. tastes the best. the members who live in Japan should be able to direct you to the best sushi bars.

if you can, go to the grave of Musashi on the island of Kyushu. lite some insense at his grave for me if you do manage to go there. vist Shari castle on Okinawa. WWII did not destropy it completely, and it is, from pictures i have seen, super. also, Shari and Nara prefictures are the homes of the two basic Okinawin karate forms which are the core of Shotokan Karate-do, developed by Gichin Funakoshi, the founder of modern Japanese karate-do [and my style]

i do run on. send us all a post card from the Land of the Rising Sun.

doug e

Thanks for the info Doug! I will look into those tourist sights for sure! I can't wait to see tokyo and okinawa...I am sure it will be a different and interesting world.

No worries about being teachy...it helps a lot...I really don't know much about Nihonto at all...But I am learning fast.

I will try to take better photos with better lighting very soon.

Thanks again.

Dave, i am available to serve as your baggage carrier during your trip to Japan --- no salary, just travel & a small per diem for food [i will sleep on a blanket in front of your door as sentry] :laughabove:

i understand that right outside the Tokyo train station there are several super sword stores --with both old and shinshakudo (modern -1953 on - made swords).

I meant Naha in Okinawa. Nara is in Honshu, and was the imperial capital at one time. Shari was the home of Shari-te, and Naha the home of Naha-te. two Okinawa-te styles which sensei Funakoshi learned in the 1880s. he eventually combined them with jujitsu, judo, various weapon trainings, and some inovations of his own [such as controled sparing so one could practice fighting without maiming or killing your buddy who you're going to go drinking with later]

man do i digress! :phew:

hints on successfully photographing swords is in a article in a link at the top of this page. i think it is by Darcy, a NMB member who sets the standard, IMHO.

sorry to yammer on like this. enjoy Japan! :)

doug e

Hi all...Sorry for the delayed response...I have been busy travelling. On a side note, I will be visiting Tokyo and Okinawa in March...Should be a great time. Any recommendations of things to do/see? Any sword related things I should see?

Dave,

Before you go check out this website:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Palace/1135/sights.html

Where to see Nihonto (Japanese Sword)

"I sure wish I saw your website before I went."

Best regards,

BaZZa.

Haha thanks for the offer Doug.

And thanks for the info Bazza...I can't wait for my trip.

So regarding the restoration of the sword, how do you all feel about this polisher? He was recommended to me by a couple people...

http://home.att.net/~hofhine/

He seems to know what he's talking about...and seems to be quite accomplished. His price for a full hand polish and restoration is $78 an inch, or a "foundation polish/martial arts practical polish" is $38 an inch.

This does not include the restoration of the tsuka/tsuba I don't think.

Thanks all.

OK Dave,

so you don't crazy red-headed shojo [a red haired, mythical creature in Japan who likes to drink sake - --- and lots of it!!] as companion on trip. very wise decision on your part! :clap:

i have not yet been able to afford a polish yet, but from feed back from NMB members, and from a sayashi friend of mine, Mike Virgadamo [some members might know of him] i have heard Robert Benson as being THE premire polisher in the US. unfortunately, he, like any other good sword polisher in the US of A, probably has a 1 or two year waiting list.

check out the Links page and the top of this page, go to restoration. there are several polishers listed; all good i'm sure. some, like Fred Loman, also sell swords, offer sayashi services, etc. look and compare. and wait for a senior member to give you better direction. they have had polishes done to their swords, so can give you an opinion based on real experience.

do we at least get a postcard from Japan? :?:

doug e

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted an update in a while...but I figured I would let everyone know that I am on the waiting list to get the sword professionally polished.

More than 1 person recommended this person to do it: http://www.swordpolish.com/ ...so I am now on his 2 year waiting list...a long time to wait, but I hear he does the job right.

A practical polish/restoration is around $38 an inch, and a full polish and restoration is $78 an inch...not sure which one I will do yet.

How much does it usually cost to restore/replace the Tsuka?

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone. Been a while since I updated this thread...

So I am still on the waiting list for David Hofhine to polish this sword. I intend to do a full polish to bring out the true beauty of this piece.

I do believe everyone here correctly identified the "mei" as "Banshu Tegarayama Fujiwara UJISHIGE"

I found this website http://www.japanszwaard.nl/uk/zwaarden-consignatie.html that has a sword with the exact same mei...It is the 3rd sword down on that page...and all the characters appear to match mine!

Here is a photo of their sword's mei that was translated by them as "Banshu Tegarayama Fujiwara UJISHIGE"

wak-uji-4MATCHmeicopy.jpg

Here is my sword's mei:

IMG_0639.jpg

It looks like they indeed match! Even the rust covered parts are easier to make out when compared to a matching mei...So it looks like "mdiddy" here was correct in IDing the sword as 3rd Generation Ujishige.

Anyway, I look forward to posting photos of the finished polished product in a year or so!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..