FUKUMOTO KANEMUNE WORK

Bruno

Gentlemen,

I have this Type 3 sword made by Seki smith FUKUMOTO KANEMUNE, dated Showa 1926 NI JYU NEN SAN GATSU(the 20th year of Showa era, the 3rd month, March 1945), signed KANEMUNE.

I have already asked about it in previous topic, and I have noticed that the nakago has a very small and faint stamp/mark that I have never been able to identify.

I have now plenty of very interesting books(thank you Stephen! :D ) with relevant infos, but no way to know more about this mark.

So, if some of you, friendly people of the NMB, has a KANEMUNE sword with a stamp on it which is not a Seki or Showa one, I would be gratefull if you can post a picture of your nakago.

Kind regards

To Roger and Stephen, thanks to you guys! :)

Well, my stamp is completly unreadable(to faint, not as well printed as Roger's one), that is why I asked if someone has a more or less same Kanemune sword with a better stamp that could be the same as mine.

As mine like Roger's one is a Type 3 and forged only 2 months after Roger's sword, I beleive it is the same mark.

Even with Roger's pic, I am not able to tell which stamp it is. Stephen, you vote for the Showa one?Right?

Kind regards

Showa or Chimata stamp....I do not know for sure.

According to Fuller and Gregory, the showa stamp appears to have been superseded by production-centre stamps such Seki after 1942(the 2 Kanemune were forged in 1945).

Furthermore, every Showa stamps I saw, were a much bigger.

Hi,

the stamp looks to my tired old eyes to be very similar to what Fuller and Gregory call "chimata" inside a sakura blossom (same as "sho" sakura blossom). it is shown also in Kapp &Yoshihara "Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmoths" page 62. I have only ever seen this on Type 3 mounted swords, so must be a stamp that came out around 1943. Another stamp I have seen only on Type 3 is "matsu" in a circle, but obviously different to this one.

Hope this helps.

George.

George, I have been talking with Bruno about this mark and had written it off as not a standard mark. However looking at magnification can see how it could be a mis-struck chimata stamp, which is the same as the Gifu stamp except within the sakura lozenge. I do see how this can be the case. 岐 It must be. John

Thank you Steve, George, John and others,

This is true, Chimata and Gifu marks are almost the same. The Gifu one seems to have 2 strokes/lines(in the first kanji) shorter than the Chimata.And it appears to me that it is this one(Gifu)we can see on the Roger's picture.

However, the mark on the nakago is inside a sakura blossom and as I never seen any Gifu mark before, I do not know if it can be found inside a sakura blossom too.

If yes, I think the stamp on the Type 3 nakago is a Gifu stamp.

If not, 33%Gifu 33%Chimata 33% unidentified one!!! :D

(I still wonder why two different words like Gifu and Chimata are written with so similar kanji, and what does Chimata mean.)

Once again thanks everyone for your precious help, I really appreciate it.

Regards

That is kind of interesting. 岐 is the first kanji in Gifu. Pronounced gi, ki or takashi, mata. 巷; 岐; 衢 【ちまた】 (n) (1) the public; (2) street; district; quarters; (3) location (of a battle, etc.); (4) divide (e.g. between life and death); (5) (orig. meaning) fork (in a road); crossroads

John

BTW, I forgot to mention that 巷 which is a synonym for 岐 is pronounced 'chimata'. J

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4917&p=38002&hilit=kanemune#p38002

this is a thread i started about my sword as i thought it was the winged wheel stamp as kanemune made these swords too but its the flaming ball kao....it was my learned friend stephen who actually identified it....top man is stephen and will go out of his way to help others

A friend of mine picked up a Showa Tachi (presentation?) at a gun show. He bought it because it was in very good condition and a very good price. The blade was also in good condition but grey. Upon taking it home, he discovered it was a fully signed Kanemune without any stamps. Upon the application of a bit of Uchiko, the blade came up a treat. All features were visible.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

I found a picture of a tang with a better stamp on ebay, just type Kanemune and his sword shows up.

This one is clearly a Showa stamp, placed sideways.

Your original is something else, like discussed above. I've love to see it with those small rust pieces removed from the stamp. It looks more like a Gifu than chimata, but without removing the rust pieces it's hard to say.

post-3487-0-78222700-1560713464_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..