Some NMB members contacted me and asked if we have the traditional DTI party this year. I'm proud to announce that Bob Hughes, who co-hosted last year's party with me, and on top of that hosted the (in)famous Yakatabune event, will organize the 2009 party. Three "hooray"s for Bob!

This will be - yet again - a raucous event with more than enough food and drink. The big day is November 1'st after the first day of the Dai Token Ichi so that attendees can get animated with a little juice (litres, gallons, barrels). Location will be Shimbashi within walking distance of the DTI. One idea is a Nomihodai ("all you can drink") Shabu-Shabu. No pants would be cool (female servers only). And maybe a couple of gay blokes for the twisted Europeans?

Event: Debauchery For Overseas Sword Lovers (and risk averse locals).

Date: Sunday, November 1'st.

Time: 6:30 p.m. party start. Group will meet in front of the DTI / Tokyo Bijutsu Club Building at 6:00 p.m.

Cost: Yen 3,000 (payable in advance on November 1'st at the Dai Token Ichi). [Thanks to a (partial) sponsorship the cost could be kept extremely reasonable.]

Location: Shimbashi (exact venue currently under study. Maps available from Keichodo at the Dai Token Ichi.)

Participants should confirm their attendance as soon as possible as a reservation will need to be made. Notify Robert Hughes at keichodo@yahoo.com.

• 3 weeks later...

So far we are 36 participants; the room holds 40, so sign up now or regret it for the rest of your miserable lives!

I also received a very generous donation from Ted Tenold (who unfortunately isn't able to make it to Japan this year) that buys us another hour or so of "all you can drink" - you won't refuse to have a drink in his honor, will you? :evil:

post-13-14196770687207_thumb.jpg

Words can't describe how frigging miserable I am at not being able to attend this event :steamed:

Yes, the DTI is amazing, but trust me when I say that functions like this can be the highlight of your trip/year/life. No doubt about it.

If I had the funds, I would be there in a heartbeat. Anyone within 200km of tokyo, get yourself to this event. I should have gone all out on a Japan trip instead of putting that deposit on a house (and I am not really joking :( )

Brian

Hi Brian,

It's Monday morning, and Guildo and the rest of NMB gangs must be experiencing massive hangovers. This year's DTI carried many big name blades and the vendors I talked to all mentioned that the prices are 20-30% lower. I guess the global economic storm is hitting their pocket.

All the best,

Ichi

Erol is right - I just woke up :oops: , and before having some *very* strong coffee and heading to the second day of the DTI, I thought I'd post some pics of yesterday's party. While I continue drooling over swords and fittings, you guys can play the "who's-that-in-the-photo?" game! 8) :D

post-13-14196770968647_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196770970407_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196770972643_thumb.jpg

Whole bunch of familiar faces there! As usual, Guido has the most bottles and Tokuri in front of him. :lol: I'm glad you all had (and are having) a good time! Although I could not be there this year, I am happy that even as an absentee, I could make good on my promises to buy you and the others a drink and prolong the fun for the evening, and the subsequent recovery the following morning. :D In the spirit of comraderie I sat with a tumbler of my own, and lacking any indiginous Japanese spirits to fill it, I settled for a very nice single malt scotch.

Cheers All!

Mina-sama ni douzo yoroshiku!!! :clap:

Y'know...being terrible with both names and faces, I would love it if someone who knows many of these participants would Photoshop the pics and add names above the people. I am sure most wouldn't mind..since their faces are already in the pics. Then we can perhaps fill in any gaps and have an idea of who is who. Just in case anyone feels like some work.... :)

Brian

..., I would love it if someone who knows many of these participants would Photoshop the pics and add names above the people.
A quick and dirty job without my desktop available:

Edited: That's Sue Fortescue next to Alan in the third photo, and to the left of Adrian sits David Flynn - sorry for the confusion, guys!

post-13-1419677110682_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771108839_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771111936_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771114051_thumb.jpg

I'm embarrassed that I forgot the name of the gentlemen next to Paul (who's president of the American NBTHK branch), especially since I had the nicest conversation with him at the NBTHK today - anyone can fill in the name?

This year I met quite a few Australians - and am relieved that they are kept on their own continent far away from the rest of us ;). Go to a karaoke place with Australians, and let slip the dogs of mayhem!!! :badgrin:

post-13-14196771116094_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771118197_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771120956_thumb.jpg

post-13-14196771123735_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..