Relic, from a newbie. Any help appreciated!

Red Devil

Hello!

I am new here, and I have a great deal to learn. I am seeking any information or direction/insight on a recent relic sword that I picked up.

I found this in a grain bin full of rusty tools in the basement of an antique store in upper Michigan on a recent trip through there. I know nothing about this, other than it is in poor condition and it was cheap! The handle is about 70% wood remaining, with two strips of what I am guessing is rayskin remaining. The tang is unmarked, and the variety of parts are corroded. The tsuba was interesting, and is pictured below.

The blade is rusted in several places, namely the tip, where it appears it sat in water for some time (the wood scabbard is rotted at the tip too). I can find no markings on the blade. The dowel holding the handle on disintegrated on me, and looked quite old. I understand many fakes and copies were produced after the War, and judging by the vintage, this may fall under that category.

I look forward to any insight/opinions on what this is, as well as potential for preservation or restoration. Thank you for taking the time to view and help me out. Please advise if I have not followed the forum rules with my first post!

-Johannes

post-1696-14196769943032_thumb.jpg

post-1696-14196769946379_thumb.jpg

post-1696-14196769948356_thumb.jpg

post-1696-14196769949649_thumb.jpg

post-1696-14196769951308_thumb.jpg

I am surprised at the more and more refined methods of the fakers to convert a new sword into a surprisingly antique looking item. Still the riddle remains to be solved, how it found its way from Shanghai into a grain bin in upper Michigan!

Seriously - Lee is right. it actually seems to be a china fake which is supposed to resemble a shingunto with leather combat cover and antique tsuba. Preservation or restoration will not increase value. If you continue to visit this board and follow up all the useful threads and links you will in time be able to see the difference!

Best Regards,

Martin

I appreciate the insight and assessment! I will then hold off on more photos; and I'm glad I didn't pay too much for this. My primary interests and expertise are in WWI-II helmets and bayonets, and I'll certainly consult here before another purchase in the Japanese sword realm.

I look forward to learning a great deal here, and, again, thank you for your replies!

-Johannes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..