oiled nakago ?!

I believe the reason people do not like oil on their nakago is when they are actual practitioners of a sword martial art and the blade is their user blade. Obviously, in their case, they want good friction between the nakago and the tsuka. Oil is not going to be welcome.

My own view for an antique blade that needs preserving is, yes, use oil on the rust. It's not the final solution and the active rust needs to be boned off but if oil is your only option, use it.

The nakago is generally the only part of a blade that is handled by our grubby paws so I see good reason for giving it a little oil from time to time.

There are two "schools of thought" in Japan: no oil for the Nakago, or some gentle rubbing with the traces of oil left on your fingertips after oiling the blade (but definately no oiling like on the blade itself). I personally never found it neccessary to oil the Nakago because all the blades I ever owned had a non-active, patination-like rust (similar to Tsuba); however, I usually rub the Nakago with my bare fingers a little (but don't feel inclined to elaborate on the sexual connotations this might have :badgrin:).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..