Construction of Tsuba

RobertM

There is a fairly inexpensive book that was published by the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston in 1983, paperback, called "Living National Treasures of Japan." One of the sections shows a series of pictures of the making of a tsuba by a modern tsuba-ko working in Higo style. I don't recall the name, and can't look it up as I'm out of stock on that title at the moment.

Craig

http://www.bridgeofdreams.com

Hi Craig,

the artist you're referring to was Yonemitsu Mitsumasa (1888 ~ 1980)

I also have the book but disappointingly there is very little in the way of images or information in terms of the actual making of his tsuba. There is a 30min bit of film about him that was made in the early 70's that has some lovely segments of him working, including doing the nunome work. It's in Japanese but I don't know if it's commercially available. If anyone knows where to get an original copy I'd be very interested to hear.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Malcolm's recommendation too :D ...absolutely brilliant site. The only lace where this sort of in material is available. And it's all for free...at least for now :badgrin:

regards,

Ford

Thanks for that information, Ford. Now that you mention it, I recall that the pictures show the stages of the work, but not the work being done.

Not quite as simple as "block of marble" ----> "rough shaping with chisel" ----> "Michelangelo's David" - but certainly not too informative if the interest is the real "how."

The film sounds most interesting.

And I also concur with Malcolm's website recommendation - a wealth of information and beautiful workmanship.

Craig

http://www.bridgeofdreams.com

Hi Rob, and Gang,

Rob, to learn how to make Tsuba, there is no better site in this world then the Ironbrush. Everything you would ever need to know to get started is there. The people are very friendly, and the wealth of knowledge, that can be found for free is unheard of.

I know all this first hand.

Mark G

I've recently been adding some short film clips to youtube to try and demonstrate some traditional metalwork techniques.

. It may provide a little idea of the sort of work that went into kinko tsuba. Of course, plain pierced iron guards are much easier to make. :glee: ;)

regards all,

ford

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..