Yokoya Somin Tsuba

Ronin 47

Hi I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the controversy concerning Yokoya Somin I producing tsuba, I have read two theory's regarding this, one that he did not make tsuba at all, and that all tsuba signed by Yokoya Somin are by later generations, and another that he did produce tsuba but in very limited numbers. I know that there are two Tsuba in the Alexander Mosle catalog supposedly by Yokoya Somin I and one of those( the one with the horse I think) has been published in some Japanese references as made by Yokoya Somin I, and I vaguely remember another tsuba I think depicting Shoki in another Japanese reference also stating that it was by Yokoya Somin I. So I guess my question is what is the general consensus in Japan (if any at all) concerning this, and what is the consensus concerning the legitimacy of the above mentioned Tsuba supposedly by Yokoya Somin I. Thanks in advance for any input

Austin Ross

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..